Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

patent story in...

Status
Not open for further replies.

epilot

hi friends,

some day ago a person here asked about security systems and wanted to connect a PIR to the lights this means when he is at the place(garage, corridor..) the lights will be turned on and after some minute (using a timer) they would be turned of, i have the same idea before and talked about it at this forum some weeks ago i think but my idea was designing a system for sitting rooms ,living room...

anyway yesterday at news(from an Asian TV) i saw a device with the same performance i said at first(PIR timer)beside a morning dimmer,he had a patent for the device from his country and i saw it at TV
i think these kind of device are sold at europe and america(am in wrong)
i was so wondered when saw that story?! does anyone know what is the story of patents?
i dont know what the patent laws are at Asia and specially at that country
but i think getting a patent for a available device is witticism...so

PIR and timer systems have been commonplace for more than 20 years, you can buy them at any DIY store - they cost very little, and usually come complete with floodlights or spot lights. They also include a light sensor, so they only come on when it's dark.

Nigel Goodwin said:
PIR and timer systems have been commonplace for more than 20 years, you can buy them at any DIY store - they cost very little, and usually come complete with floodlights or spot lights. They also include a light sensor, so they only come on when it's dark.

so what is the patent storry in Asia :wink:

epilot said:
Nigel Goodwin said:

No idea, I would imagine it's very lax, as manufacturers out there commonly completely ignore patents and copyright?.

Nigel Goodwin said:
epilot said:
Nigel Goodwin said:

No idea, I would imagine it's very lax, as manufacturers out there commonly completely ignore patents and copyright?.

what this means Nigel?
anyway that device was so simple that i could not be an invention while there is other the same devices for sell?

the only thing i can imagine is that patent law fro every country is independent and there is no any international patenting law,i dont know perhaps this is correct for Asia only! :roll:

epilot said:

what this means Nigel?

[/quote]

It means that many Asian countries completely ignore it - and how are you going to sue a small manufacturer in the middle of China somewhere (assuming China even has patent and copyright laws?) - bear in mind you would have to try and sue in China, where it may not even be an offence!.

anyway that device was so simple that i could not be an invention while there is other the same devices for sell?

I imagine it's probably so old the patents have expired now? :lol:

the only thing i can imagine is that patent law fro every country is independent and there is no any international patenting law,i dont know perhaps this is correct for Asia only! :roll:

It's extremely complicated, and effectively pointless unless you have HUGE sums of money to fight for your rights in courts all over the world.

For an example, imagine MicroSoft infringe your patent! - so you take them to court - your court costs (for the first year) are $25,000,000 - this is probably leaving YOU a little short on change, but MicroSoft are still funding their side from petty cash. You go bankrupt, have lost every thing, the court case is thrown out, and MicroSoft still haven't broken a sweat!.

So what protection has a patent given you there?.

really my mean is that HOW a country patent department give a patent to a person?
it seems giving a patent at alot of countries is based on claim, this means if you say i have made this thing and there is not any the same thing like that then patent department will give you a patent.

why it is pointless Nigel , do you want t say there is no any international patent department? if my understanding about your words be correct then i can do a search in the net and for a new device that has a patent from its country and make that at my country and get a patent too?
!
then suppose a company want to manufacture that thing then it can make it without any permit from inventor or suppose it have to buy it acording to an international law then from which one it must purchase that thing?from the inventor or from me?

so it is better that MicroSoft infringe and steal any patent it would like :) :wink:

epilot said:
really my mean is that HOW a country patent department give a patent to a person?

I don't claim to understand how patents work in the UK, never mind elsewhere in the world, but from what I can gather you need a LOT of money to protect your patent. If you had your location filled in, perhaps we would have an idea where you might be?.

For the UK you could try looking at **broken link removed** for useful advice, presumably your country will have a similar site?.

it seems giving a patent at alot of countries is based on claim, this means if you say i have made this thing and there is not any the same thing like that then patent department will give you a patent.

No idea, but generally you have to prove it's an origina idea, and have a reasonale chance of working (although there are huge numbers of pertetual motion machines that have been granted patents in the past).

why it is pointless Nigel , do you want t say there is no any international patent department? if my understanding about your words be correct then i can do a search in the net and for a new device that has a patent from its country and make that at my country and get a patent too?

Theft is still theft, regardless of patents, I suggest you try investigating patent application in your country! -bear in mind it's NOT chaep to register a patent.

then suppose a company want to manufacture that thing then it can make it without any permit from inventor or suppose it have to buy it acording to an international law then from which one it must purchase that thing?from the inventor or from me?

How much money do you have?, could you afford to fight a massively expensive patent battle in a foreign court?.

International law tends to be a fairly vague affair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back