Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Passive power correction

Status
Not open for further replies.

technogeek

I have a small circuit that draws 30ma @ 160-170V. I'm currently using a rectifier off mains and a filter cap as an unregulated power supply. I measured the power factor at 0.6..... I've read that there are some tricks to get the PF closer to 1 with just some passive components, but have not read any design notes on how specifically to accomplish this.

Is it as simple as installing an inductor in line between the rectifier and filter cap?

Assuming you have a full wave bridge rectifier, installing the correct choke will improve the power factor.

See this article for details. If I understand the process, for 30 mA your choke needs to be about 5 Henries, and your output voltage would become about 105 volts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back