Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

passive crossovers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaston

anyone have a formula for passive crossovers? just a low pass with an inductor and high pass with a cap.

**broken link removed**
Introduce yourself to 'google' that link was second from the top. Took me less time to find than it did to type this post.

i am aware of google and appreciate you help. i just wanted to start a topic that i was working on because i feel we all learn from open discussion. i look at it as if we were all standing in a circle talking and shareing ideas and comments. if its a rule that we cannot ask questions unless we have exhausted all other resourses please tell me and i will not do it again. how does everyone else feel about this?

A simple inductor in series with the woofer is a poor filter. If the woofer has a peak at about 5kHz like most do then it needs a 2nd or 3rd order filter.

A simple capacitor in series with the tweeter is a poor filter. If the tweeter is fragile and is destroyed by bass like most are then it needs a 2nd or 3rd order filter.

Didn't mean to sound harsh Gaston. If you'd wanted to create a general discussion just say so in the original post. I'm all for open discussion of just about anything, but a single simple question isn't a discussion =)

That's my biggest problem with a lot of posts in the forums here, it's difficult to tell the difference between someone wanting to discuss a particular type of circuit or design generally and someone that just wants a quick 'do my homework asignment' question asked when the threads are so completly lacking any information or basis for the question that there's no point to base a discussion from.

A discussion starts with a question, a point of view and maybe a little background in the application or reason for asking the question.

Never mind having a discussion. Just use a simple highpass capacitor for the tweeter and blow it up. Just use a simple inductor for the woofer and hear it screech.
Then we will discuss why and how to fix it.

There are all kinds of wrong information and bad circuits on the web. Google finds them all but doesn't distinguish which ones are the best or the worst.

audioguru, did you actually check out the link I mentioned?

i was looking up crossovers my self and found a circuit with one out let and like 20 inductors. and said HUH? i will be paying attention to this thread and see what i can see, if theres a discussion!!

Let's discuss why the Shavano article has the tweeter and woofer wired in phase in a second-order crossover circuit which creates a deep notch at the crossover frequency. The phase shifts of an even-order crossover circuit causes perfect cancellation at the crossover frequency (if the speaker cones are in the same plane).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back