Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Part to reconfigure IO

Status
Not open for further replies.

3v0

Coop Build Coordinator
Forum Supporter
Is there an inexpensive way to add a chip to a pic that will let one change what signal exists on each line. I am not looking for a port expander but rather a way to move signals around between connectors without making a new board.

You could do this with a fpga. I was hoping for a ready made solution. Maybe I2c controled.

You mean you basically want a switch so you can select different inputs to the PIC?.

If it's analogue inputs?, there are various suitable CMOS switches available.

You really need to be more specific what you're wanting to do.

I am thinking about a reconfigurable IO system rather then attempting to solve a specific problem.

On some PICs CCP can be moved between two pins using a control register bit. I was wondering if these is a chip that goes between the processor and connectors that allowed you to remap all IO pins.

EDIT:
I am fairly sure you can do this with a $10 or $15 fpga. I am looking for a chip designed to do this.

Last edited:
3v0 said:
I am thinking about a reconfigurable IO system rather then attempting to solve a specific problem.

Trying to find a general solution for a non-specific probelm is always going to be expensive and over complicated. The PIC itself is already highly configurable, with most pins being capable of use as general purpose I/O. It's only the specific pins like serial IN and OUT which are allocated to particular fixed pins.

I really think you're looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist? - and if you really did want to do it, simple jumpers are all you need.

I just did a check out for myself.
Remappable pins. Microchip devices just keep getting better and better. The 24F series is incredible logically and prices wise.

But thats only the 24F. Otherwise you don't have remappable pins- you can often change the code to move the functionality to different ports but must always live with hardware limits of the various pins- PWM, UARTs, ADCs are tied to specific pins.

24F or not, the devices just keep getting better and better. 24F will expand as all the other series have done.

Now if the other Micro giant had a clue...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back