Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Parallel Port Problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Promocom

Anyone ever successfully program through a PCI 2nd lpt card on Win XP?

Though a 2nd printer will work fine on it I just can't seem to get it to respond to commands sent to the standard port addresses. I suspect that the lpt2,3 addresses are being redirected somehow and I don't know to compensate.

I can program fine through the onboard lpt1. (Just controlling 8 leds)

Thanks.

PCI port addresses are generally high addresses, sometimes they are mapped into low IO space, but I cannot think of a board that I have worked on that had this feature. Perhaps you can obtain the address from the devices tab. However, PCI dynamically configures boards so they *could* have different addresses on a subsequent power-up, but I havent seen that often unless the hardware is changed.

Yeh -- PCI cards will generally use Base I/O addresses other than those reserved for the standard parallel ports in the IBM AT standard (03BCh, 0378h, and 0278h). In addition, most PCI cards are able to use high, shared, or redirected IRQ's rather than the standard IRQ7 and IRQ5 that are generally reserved for parallel ports.

Maybe your board doesn't support any additional chips... By the way, what's yours? (I mean your mother board, what is its kind, Intel Petium, AMD...)

Windows XP blocks direct I/O to parallel port. (to all ports for that matter).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back