Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Parallel port interface?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuttydan

Hey all. I would post this is the small projects section, but I am new and that requires 25 posts. I am trying to turn on leds form the // port and am running into a snag. It works fine from my xp machine, using a inpout32.dll, but in the win98 machine I will be using it does not.

-I had to use a different inpout32.dll version
-All LPT/ECP addresses are the same on both machines
-I can read then write to the address, but the leds do not light.
-The computer says the port is functioning correctly.
-Program is in VB under excel.
-Looked for other posts about this, and found some good ones, but none seemed to address this problem.

Is it possible the port is bad, but the registers are still working? Have spent hours and cant get anywhere. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Not a freeloader

Not trying to get it all done for me. Just ran into this snag and don't know where to go. This is not in my expertiese.
\
:confused:

"--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't need to use inpout32.dll under Win98, direct access to the ports is allowed - so it's even simpler!."

Thanks for the quick reply. When I tried to use the functions inp() and out(,) in VBA thought it said the functions werent recognized (or something of the sort). How do you declare these without the .dll? I was using the following declarations:

"

Public Declare Function Inp Lib "inpout32.dll" Alias "Inp32" _
(ByVal PortAddress As Integer) _
As Integer

Public Declare Sub Out Lib "inpout32.dll" Alias "Out32" _
(ByVal PortAddress As Integer, _
ByVal Value As Integer)

"

How do I use the functions without these delarations linking to the .dll? Thanks for the help.

-Dan

If you have a parallel printer, just print something to test the port. I use a free version of inpout32, not Jan Axleson’s with 98, VC++ and it works fine. Is inpout32.DLL in that machine’s windows/system directory? Are all of those include files available to your compiler?

You can access the parallel port on a windows XP machine through Qbasic if you use PortTalk (free).

**broken link removed**

In the documentation it says that the program need to be used like this
: "allowio.exe yourprogram.exe" but I have found that just running the allowio.exe program once grants me access to the parallel port in qbasic. Thus not requiring compiled code to run through allowio.exe.

ClydeCrashKop said:
If you have a parallel printer, just print something to test the port. I use a free version of inpout32, not Jan Axleson’s with 98, VC++ and it works fine. Is inpout32.DLL in that machine’s windows/system directory? Are all of those include files available to your compiler?

it works fine also in (inpout32) in 98 and xp in VB.

PYTHON!!!!

easy with python

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back