Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Parallel port input

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonaiko

Guys i have tried to input data through the parallel port.. weird results those i got!!

with the port is open circuit, it give an OUTPUT 1.8v eventhough i have the C5 pin high [to make it input]!!! thats wierd isnt it supposed to be zero?

another thing, when i connect a LED to the INPUT parallel port, it LIGHTS!!! ofcourse thats normal since there is a 1.8v going on there!!

I want the input lines NOT to give voltage when connected to nothing, and only if 5v or so connected to them my VB programme [or c++] should give me it is 1!!

what is going on?

Check the setting of the port in BIOS. Change it to EPP but NOT ECP/ That should allow you to manipilate the control register bit 5 for input. EPP setting works just fine as a Bi-Directional port that can be controlled by the control register.
Dialtone

All the parallel ports are not by default Bidirectional so you have to do certain settings as mentioned by Dialtone
I normally use to keep the output and input ports seperate
**broken link removed**
refer the above link it shows configuration on both bidirectional and seperate input and putput also
well it depends on your application what you want to use

Thanx guys i will try what u all said.

Are the ports 2-->9 output and input at the same time?
Can i make smthng like port 3 is output but port 4 is input at the same time? how can i do this?

thanx.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back