Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Parallel bicycle dynamo..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not at all sure this isn't just spam?, and the advertising has been removed.

But to parallel bycycle dynamos rated at 3W would require 100 of them to get 300W, which is more than a cyclist could generate.

Well maybe I was wrong:
"A completely inexperienced rider, for long periods of time, can output 50 or 100 watts of leg power; whereas a Tour de France racer is said to be able to generate 500 watts or more of continuous power—still not up to a horse, but mighty impressive, none the less!"
copied from: **broken link removed**

but with the losses added in converting the power you will still battle to get 100W...

Last edited:
Dynamos are really alternators so when you parallel them you need to make sure they're in phase or they'll overheat.

Much more fun to try and make them run in phase! ;)
As a kid I hated just using ONE of these dynamos as they added a lot of drag. But they made good brakes when riding down hill though. If you want more power, a large PM DC motor would act as a generator if belt driven off the wheel. Or maybe get one of those hub generators:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/lighting/shimano.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back