Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Parallel 16 bit multiplier (need suggestions for parts or online store)

Status
Not open for further replies.

baseline

Is it impossible to find TTL compatible parallel multipliers these days?

I've been browsing for one to use in a cpu design and so far the only suitable one I could find ( in a convenient DIP package ) is the IDT7210L

Unfortunately the asking price $23.5 + $36 shipping is too much for me( The supplier is in the USA and I live in Europe ).

I would be happy to use a single 16bit x 16bit parallel multiplier or a combination of 4b or 8b multipliers and adders, but building it from NAND/XOR is not feasible.

Can anyone more experience suggest a online shop in Europe or a cheaper solution?

Thanks

Last edited:
A 16b processor with integer multiplication.

So far everything has been easier than expected. This is by far the trickiest part of the design.

Thanks for your interest.

Some PICs have 16bit multiply in hardware, they're pretty cheap too. If you're doing DSP there are PICs for that too.

This a purely education project.

I guess that there are PICs, AVRs and others more powerful and less expensive than what I'm trying to build.

My first idea was to build the multiplier with adders and multiplexers but the component count for a 16 bit multiplier was just too big.

There are some 8bit multipliers in the 74xxx family but I could not find them anywhere :( They would be perfect for this project.

This IDT7210L65C processor the only suitable part i could find.

Last edited:
Saffron Electronics Ltd
4 Ash Drive
Haughton
Stafford
Staffs
ST18 9EU

Tel: +44 (0) 8451 662 314
Fax: +44 (0) 8451 662 315

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads