Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PAL Composite to VGA output i/c ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmn_tech

Anbody any ideas of an i/c that would be suitable. I find that a google search find many VGA to PAL but I need the other way around for a project Idea I am working on.

Any ideas on a chip or links to schematics would be apreciated.

I'm not interested in ready built units.

Thanking you in advance. Rick.

O.K. I have a vast number of CRT computer monitors and a large quantity of CCTV cameras. Now, just for experiments sake I would like to attempt to construct a basic converter as I belive this would be cheaper in the long run than buying new CCTV monitors every time I need another display.

Also I just like to experiment.

Rick,

Try http://www.genesismicrochip.com they make scan converter ICs.
There are IC that convert many types of video (including broadcast) to LCD format.
The LCD format can be converted to analog VGA.
Program the registers for PAL input and 640x480 output.
I found Genesis Microchip to be hard to work with!

Another option is:
Look for a board that drives a raw LCD panel. The board will have a “VGA” type connector and a RCA jack for video in. Some boards have both TTL and LVDS outputs to drive the LCD. The TTL can drive a DAC and you have VGA. You are looking for a board to drive VGA resolution LCD panels.

Get a datasheet from Genesis MicroChip and look for key words like scan-converter. Search for these words and you will find other chips that do the same thing and full boards the do conversions.

Try looking at Gefen, they makes many types of video converters.

rmn_tech said:
O.K. I have a vast number of CRT computer monitors and a large quantity of CCTV cameras. Now, just for experiments sake I would like to attempt to construct a basic converter as I belive this would be cheaper in the long run than buying new CCTV monitors every time I need another display.

Buy new monitors, it's cheaper than building a (VERY complicated) converter, and will give a MUCH better picture.

I have some cameras that have dip switches to set modes. I set the switches to no-interlaced, 2 X dot clock and get VGA timing.

I like the look of non interlaced NTSC. 15,750 x 2 =31,500
But Nigel is probably right.

I just like experimenting.

I have time on my hands and I'm working on a few projects for something to do.

Rick.

Good luck then! - you need to digitise the incoming signal and write it into memory, then read it back out at a completely different rate - maintaining all the sync pulses and timing correctly. You also need a PAL/RGB decoder first, but that's the easy bit!.

Oh I know its not easy. If it was it wouldn't interest me.

I was just wondering if anybody knew of a chip that would do some of the donkey work. If the project never really gets off the ground I'll have had fun trying.

Thanks all for you comments.

Rick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back