Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pad polarity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolf

Question:

Why is it when making a PCB is the square hole for a diode the cathode(negative) side but on an IC it indicates positive positive supply?
What about a photo diode?
Just need to make sure.

Because it makes it easier to identify the pins.

The same goes for a photodiode, it's no different than any other diode.

Aslo, the hole isn't actually square, it's the pad that's square and most people don't bother and use the same shape pad for all holes.

Yes, pin one is normally positive.

On some pcbs i have designed, they have the positive pin being a square or a circle. I think it depends on the chip. I get my pcbs made at advanced circuits.

Last edited:
No, I've seen this sort of thing used on electrolytics and any polarised component.

Rolf said:
Question:

Why is it when making a PCB is the square hole for a diode the cathode(negative) side but on an IC it indicates positive positive supply?
What about a photo diode?
Just need to make sure.

Cathode is a point where +ve voltage can come out (having entered at Anode.)

So we can't say that cathode is -ve.

Likewise, a negative voltage can enter at cathode and come out as -ve voltage at Anode.

After working for Tektronix for several years, I adopted their standards of using a square pad for IC pin 1, capacitor positive and diode cathode, round pads for all the rest. When mounting resistors, I also make sure that all of them face the same direction, i.e., the tolerance band is always to the same edge of the board. Makes later reading of component values much faster and the board has a better appearance -- subtle, but still the eye does catch the difference.

Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back