Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

P and N Channel H-Bridge with PWM

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwarm

Hey stumbled on this great forum after searching for this topic, but can't find an exact answer for my question (with schematic if possible!).

I have been looking at the circuit shown here:
**broken link removed**

I will be driving two motors from a typical R/C car supplied with 9.6V NiCad (I assume they'll draw about 1 amp).

But currently have the following items which differ slightly from those ones (sorry my part numbers might be different as I'm from Australia :) ) :
  • NPN = 2N3904
  • PNP = BC558 (general purpose PNP)
  • N-Channel MOSFET = MPT3055
  • P-Channel MOSFET = IRF9540N

From my reading on the theory of H-Bridges these should be fine, as the Rds(ON) is about the same for both MOSFETS (approx .1 Ω), and they're both logic level driven (I hope i read the datasheets correctly).

My question is do I need the transistors at all because I have logic level MOSFETS?

And can I drive this with two PWM signals as the MCU I'm using (from an autopilot) doesn't have plain digital I/O!! Otherwise I have 8 PWM signals (max) and I can just have them fully on and act like digital outputs, but I'm a little uncertain because I don't think I can fully turn them off (as they're meant to drive servo motors the only settings I have are: min="1000" neutral="1000" max="2000" which are in ms).

Hopefully that all made sense, as I'm quite an amateur!!!
Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• N-Channel MOSFET.PDF
    85.3 KB · Views: 802
  • P-Channel Mosfet.PDF
    134.7 KB · Views: 543
I will be driving two motors from a typical R/C car supplied with 9.6V NiCad (I assume they'll draw about 1 amp).

At 9.6V presumably these are motors from 'real' R/C cars, like Tamiya ones?.

They take massively more than 1A, 90A upwards ECS's are commonly used for controlling them.

Sorry I should have worded that better, the 9.6V is the supply to the whole RC (it is just a toy one bought from a toy store), that includes other electronics transmitter/receiver etc. I have driven it off a 1.5Amp micro controller that I used for another project some time ago with no issues.

drwarm (&fuzzy),
that diagram is dated 2001. There are much better single chip solutions around today to do the job. Driving P-channel MOSFETS is expensive.
You could probably salvage a H bridge IC from an old VCR load/mode select motor drive, if you wanted to experiment. They come as a monolithic solution, where the chip drives the motor directly, no transistors or MOSFETs to add.

The attached pdf is an older example IC. Full H bridge driving 4x N-channel MOSFETS. Very easy.

sPuDd..

Attachments

• HIP4081A MOSFET Driver IC.pdf
    194.2 KB · Views: 614
Still had a lot of trouble getting the H-Bridge going, but managed to find some L6203 DMOS H-bridge driver ICs.

Just a couple question before I try out the circuit, I'm using pg 11 of this pdf as reference (I won't use the L6506 and just connect micro straight to L6203):
https://www.otocoup.com/DocTech/Stepper_cont_driver_bip_2.8A_L6208_ApN_microstep.pdf

Do you think a 0.5Ω resistor is ok going from Sense to Ground?

Also is there any way to control it with just 2 PWMs per L6203, for instance if I have the two signals also go into an XOR that goes to enable?

Thanks for all your help!

PS I also know that this circuit doesn't have any dead time, I will try an accomplish this with code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back