Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Oxygen sensor loading please ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Externet

Planning to build a quadruple indicator for automotive (lambda) oxygen sensors outputted voltage with four LM3914 in dot mode in 0.1 to 0.9 V scale.
Wondering what is the typical load these sensors work happily with ?
I believe the LM3914 is over 20K input resistance, but cannot tell for sure. Do you know that too ?

Last edited:
I've messed with these, the impedance is quite low for a standard zirconia sensor, a titania sensor on the other hand has a sensing element in series with a resisitor and is a higher impedance.
Are you using a standard hego sensor or something else?
You can buffer the o/p with a non inverting op amp if you like.
Problems are more likely to occur if your tapping into a lambda sensor allready used by an existing engine control system.
If I remember rightly your aiming for an o/p of 0.6v which corresponds to a stoichometric ratio of 14.7 to 1, unless your burning alky or soemthing exotic.

Last edited:
Thanks, gentlemen.
That data sheet helps a lot, good find.

Yes, plan is to tap onto existing standard operating sensors wiring for an on-board permanent monitor display. Will see what happens. So far a 1 MΩ oscilloscope probe does not seem to load the signal, sensors appear to be low enough source resistance.

After about 7 minutes watching 4 LM3914's bounce up and down, you'll get bored. The only notable observation I saw was when the engine was at WOT where you should see a rich condition. If it is lean, pistons will be consumed.
I have a 2 channel unit that I made, never used it. You are welcome to it just for the cost of postage. Prior to making that, I would Duck Tape my Fluke to windshield for readings.

I built one way back that used the same circuit for displaying injector pulse width or lambda, impressed my mates at the time.
You can diode or the lower leds to a buzzer to warn of lean out.
You will get some fluctuation up and down due to cross mapping, but thats a good thing when the sensor fouls up you'll see this slow down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back