Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Oxygen/carbon dioxide

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwame

Hi folks i am up some trouble again.
There is this new project i am working on.I want an apparatus which i can use to sense and control oxygen and carbon dioxide simultaneously.I want the apparatus to function like a thermostat and open and close a solenoid valve when need be.
Does anybody have any ideas.

THANKS
KWAME

What have you done and where have you looked? No use in us recommending things you've already done.

Ken

What is it for?

Is it for a Greenhouse?

I'm not sure about O2 sensors, but I know that CO2 sensors are readily available.

Tom

If you can sense CO2, it is as well and good as sensing O2? Wont you think like that? Provided there is an equilibrium in between them.

Ok, I see your point. Most living things do convert O2 to CO2 or vice versa.

Though it all depends on what it is needed for.

I am working on a brooder for day chicks.The control will ensure that there is enough oxygen for the chicks.

You're going to have O2 and CO2 tanks, regulators, valves, and control system for a chick brooder? How about temp, humidity, and light control? Seems like a bit of environmental control overkill. Or, am I missing something?

Ken

Hi Vittalkiran,you have got the idea.That is what exactly i want to achieve.
The provision has already been made for temperature and humidity controls.
I want to be able to achieve an equilibrim between the oxygen and carbon dioxide.

I want the inlet to open when the oxygen level begin to fall to prevent the chicks from dying needlessly.The chicks give out carbon dioxide naturally.Is any apparatus which is very handy like a thermostat i can use to achieve this end?

Last edited:
I don't know what happened to my post, but mass flow controllers are available for just about any gas and thus can be used to introduce the amount of gas necessary.

If this is a small space like an incubator, then this could be the way to go.

If this is a larger space then pumping in condiitioned air from outside may be the way to go. It would purge out the cage and bring in fresh oxygen,

kwame,

This seems like a very involved and expensive approach. Is this funded research? Or, a one-off for personal chick production.

Ken

Odd that he can't simply pump humidity & temp controlled fresh air thru...continuously.

Are these chicks in space...or in an undersea lab?

Or are u trying to export/trade in restricted birds in sealed containers?

Hi as soon i am able raise funds from my personal savings/the Good Lord provides,i will work on the oxygen/carbon dioxide project.

THANKS

This will be a starting point for oxygen measuring:

**broken link removed**

For CO2 you'll need an infra red absorbtion analyzer. Luft Instruments might still make them. They called them LIRA's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back