Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Output Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

codan

Hi all,

I have a metal detector that i want to test the output to the coil.

There is a circular 5 pin plug that the search coil plugs into, the pins are numbered 1 through 5 in an anticlockwise direction.
I would like to determine which pins are the output voltage pins to the search coil etc, the detector is a Minelab GP3500.

Is this as straight forward as just making contact with the pins with a multimeter, can any damage occur by doing this??

Thank You

You should be able to measure it with a DMM, but keep in mind the coil uses higher frequency signals than alot of AC circuits. I think some detectors use frequencies upwards of 25-100 KHz or so. If you have access to one, an O-scope would probably be a better choice than a multimeter.

Relax, You won't do any damage by trying to measure the signal.

Thanks Brian218,

I have a PC based O-scope that i can use to test it out.

I am guessing that with the 5 pin connector that 2 pins would be for the transmit voltage to the search coil, 2 pins would be for the reciever signal pins & the other one an earth-ground pin.
Does this make sense?

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back