Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

  • Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

output stage of tda2030a

Status
Not open for further replies.

hentai

New Member
Hello, i wonder if anyone has an idea or mb a schematic of whats under the hood of a tda2030a...
I'm thinking can these chips (and others) be biased into class a by adding a current load between output and one of the supply rails like with opamps.
Any input is appreciated! Thank you.
 

Optikon

New Member
hentai said:
Hello, i wonder if anyone has an idea or mb a schematic of whats under the hood of a tda2030a...
I'm thinking can these chips (and others) be biased into class a by adding a current load between output and one of the supply rails like with opamps.
Any input is appreciated! Thank you.

I think you might be correct. They certainly run as class AB I believe under normal operation. I think their outputs are just a complimentary pair of power transistors. Did you see the datasheet? It may not show that much detail so really nobody can know for sure.
 

Nigel Goodwin

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
I would have thought not?, there's a specific reason that method works on one particular type of opamp - it's not going to work on a power amplifier, or indeed other opamps.

In any case, the 2030 is already a fairly decent performer, why do you want to alter it?.
 

hentai

New Member
well there was a sell out thing at one of my local stores and they sold tda2030a with about 0.3$ so i bought a bag full of them :D . I was just curious if it can be done... thinking mb i could use it as a class a headphone amp or in tri-amping for those high freq.
Nigel i find it curious why u say that the method only works on one type of opamp... do u mean the lm324?
i found the internal schematic of the tda2040... could it be somehow similar?
in this case couldnt the output stage be forced to work single ended?
 

Attachments

  • tda2040 internal.JPG
    tda2040 internal.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 668

Nigel Goodwin

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
hentai said:
well there was a sell out thing at one of my local stores and they sold tda2030a with about 0.3$ so i bought a bag full of them :D . I was just curious if it can be done... thinking mb i could use it as a class a headphone amp or in tri-amping for those high freq.
Nigel i find it curious why u say that the method only works on one type of opamp... do u mean the lm324?
i found the internal schematic of the tda2040... could it be somehow similar?
in this case couldnt the output stage be forced to work single ended?

You need to consider what the external resistor does on an LM324 - essentially it's a pullup resistor, so that provides the current rather than the other transistor. This is only possible because of the low output current it provides - for a power amp, assuming it could be done?, it would require a VERY low value resistor, which would destroy the bottom transistor.

But I'll say again, why not just use them 'as is' they are pretty respectable devices, 0.1% distortion at 8W into 8 ohms.
 

hentai

New Member
You are right... but i can afford experimenting :D
and i think resistors can be replaced with an active load? i remember i've seen it done on opamps with some cascode with fets... if u keep the bias curent at bay could it still be dangerous for the device?
Thx for ur help!
 

Nigel Goodwin

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
hentai said:
You are right... but i can afford experimenting :D
and i think resistors can be replaced with an active load? i remember i've seen it done on opamps with some cascode with fets... if u keep the bias curent at bay could it still be dangerous for the device?
Thx for ur help!

The mod for the LM324 is to remove the excessive cross-over distortion in the chip, the problem doesn't apply to the TDA2030. I don't see how an active load would help?, it would only be worse than a resistor.
 

hentai

New Member
hmm i got'em from a store... dont know if they will ship but i live in Romania so shiping to US will probably cost more than the ics...
Cheers!
 

audioguru

Well-Known Member
Most Helpful Member
The fanatics at the headphones amplifier forum added a class-A load to the OPA2134 opamps they use, to reduce the 0.00008% distortion!!!
 

Attachments

  • OPA2134 details.PNG
    OPA2134 details.PNG
    17.2 KB · Views: 340
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top