Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

output stage & driver stage-Audio Amplifiers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to know what happens if the output transistors were to heat up, what would happen to the quiescent current in the output stage if the VBB value was kept constant?

All i know is that Transistors have a negative temperatuere co-efficient. If the o/p transistors get hot then they need less drive and this causes thermal runaway; but what would happen to the quiescent current in the output stage if the VBB value was kept constant?

Thermal runaway occurs in Power BJTs that are subject to heating in constant VBE bias conditions. As devices heat up (for a constant collector current)
-->VBE decreases by 2mv/degree celcius
--->under constant Vbe the collector current increases

this leads to more self heating and further increase in collector current, usually to destruction

a VBE multiplier circuit compensate for this effect?right?
if the transistor of the vbe multiplier is kept in close thermal contact with the output devices then as these devices heat up
all their vbe's will reduce similarly (by 2mv/°C) and hence the bias level effectively remains constant. Thus the vbe multiplier compensates very well for output device heating effects and eliminates possible thermal runaway.

Attachments

• SziklaiDarlingto&#11.png
    SziklaiDarlingto&#11.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
Your circuit does not show a Vbe multiplier transistor.
Emitter resistors are also used with the output transistors.

Your transistors do not have resistors to turn them off.

Déjà vu, I'm sure I've seen that exact schematic before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back