Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Output jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

chilinski

Let's say you have some type of audio output device that does not have an audio output jack on it. You want to get the sound from that device in your headphones, computer, tape recorder, etc. Cracking the case to add a jack is out of the question (let's say because it would void warranty, or it's an antique and this would ruin its value, etc. etc., whatever).

What would you do? I'm thinking possibly of an electret mic and preamp, with the mic affixed to the case in front of the speaker. Sounds crude...anything nicer, better, more glorious?

A mic in front of a speaker makes a horrible sound. Sometimes a feedback howling sound.

Indeed it does. Jimi Hendrix took most of my hearing with him when he left.

But Jimi was getting feedback because his equipment was reamplifying the same signal, right? When he stood in front of his speakers and played, he got feedback.

What I'm talking about is putting a mic in front of the speaker of a old AM transistor radio. Turn the radio on and record the sound coming out of it through the mic into Audacity running on my Ubuntu Linux box. There would not be any reamplification...just recording. To get feedback, I'd have to feed the sound from the mic back into the radio, right? I don't want to do that, I just want to record the sound coming out of this old radio.

So if this is not a good idea, can you think of a better way to do this?

Why bother recording the horrible sound from an AM radio?
It has no highs above only 4kHz. It is distorted and is full of interference.

The problem, besides the crappy audio response, will be that you'll also pickup background noise. You could try an inductive pickup like the one used to record telephone conversation off the handset.

Audioguru,

I see you post a lot, and I see you post a lot of valuable, knowledgable information. But the "why" is not always important.

Okay, let me try another approach. Let's say you have one of the original "Chatty Cathy" dolls. By pulling a string on the back of its neck, it would say something. You want to use her voice for something else.

Or, you have a device that from years ago that had a prerecorded message on it that you'd like to re-record to something better.

Or, you won a home telephone voice recording from NPR done just for you by Carl Kasell and the only copy is on an old recorder and you want to move it to a new one.

There are lots of reasons "why" someone would want to do something like this. The question is HOW, not why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back