Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Oshonsoft and windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

be80be

Can you run Oshonsoft on Windows 7 with a 64 bit cpu

I have a laptop I would like to run it on it errors and doesn't really tell why

I figured it out I have to run as administrator

Last edited:
Well it runs but I can't get the LCD to work
I'm using this test program
Code:
Define LCD_BITS = 8  'allowed values are 4 and 8 - the number of data interface lines
Define LCD_DREG = PORTB
Define LCD_DBIT = 0  '0 or 4 for 4-bit interface, ignored for 8-bit interface
Define LCD_RSREG = PORTD
Define LCD_RSBIT = 1
Define LCD_EREG = PORTD
Define LCD_EBIT = 3
Define LCD_RWREG = PORTD  'set to 0 if not used, 0 is default
Define LCD_RWBIT = 2  'set to 0 if not used, 0 is default
Define LCD_COMMANDUS = 2000  'delay after LCDCMDOUT, default value is 5000
Define LCD_DATAUS = 50  'delay after LCDOUT, default value is 100
Define LCD_INITMS = 2  'delay used by LCDINIT, default value is 100
'the last three Define directives set the values suitable for simulation; they should be omitted for a real device

Dim an0 As Word

AllDigital  'configure all pins for digital use
ADCON1 = 0x0e  'configure AN0 input for analog use
Lcdinit 1  'initialize LCD module; cursor is blinking

loop:
	Adcin 0, an0
	Lcdcmdout LcdClear  'clear LCD display
	Lcdout "Analog input AN0"  'text for the line 1
	Lcdcmdout LcdLine2Home  'set cursor at the beginning of line 2
	Lcdout "Value: ", #an0  'formatted text for line 2
	WaitMs 1  'larger value should be used in real device
Goto loop  'loop forever

hi burt,
Is the Oshonsoft LCD displayed but not functional.??
Is the micro controller view showing PIC activity for the LCD drive.?

Your program runs OK in Win XP Pro, the END command should be at the end of the listing.

E

Burt... To simulate you NEED to include this line "Define SIMULATION_WAITMS_VALUE = 1" then the simulation is relatively fast... If your simulating in ISIS you dont need it or set it to 0.

Last edited:
Burt... To simulate you NEED to include this line "Define SIMULATION_WAITMS_VALUE = 1" then the simulation is relatively fast... If your simulating in ISIS you dont need it or set it to 0.

hi Ian,
Are you saying this is peculiar to Windows 7 or generally.?

I run Win XP Pro 3HGz, I never use the define, it makes to difference in the running rate of the LCD.
Changed Burts loop in to a for next 10 loop.
Images show execution time with and without the define.

Attached modified Basic, can you run it and see what you get with and without.???

EDIT:
Note that Burt has these lines
Define LCD_COMMANDUS = 2000 'delay after LCDCMDOUT, default value is 5000
Define LCD_DATAUS = 50 'delay after LCDOUT, default value is 100
Define LCD_INITMS = 2 'delay used by LCDINIT, default value is 100

Attachments

• AAesp01.gif
    AAesp01.gif
    9 KB · Views: 348
  • AAesp04.gif
    AAesp04.gif
    7.3 KB · Views: 354
  • b80a.bas
    1.3 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
Eric... I very rarely use oshonsoft's simulator as I have the full version of ISIS... But when I simulate ANY program that uses the LCD it takes a long time for anything to happen (I mean visually) so the simulation wait value helps when you need to see something happen.

I assume burt is running this on the sim!!

Eric... I see what you mean... LCDinit still takes over a minute to execute with the sim value in... "I'm sure I tried it recently and it run much quicker"

To get this running half as slow... change commandus to 200 ...LCDint then takes about 25 seconds

Last edited:
Eric... I very rarely use oshonsoft's simulator as I have the full version of ISIS... But when I simulate ANY program that uses the LCD it takes a long time for anything to happen (I mean visually) so the simulation wait value helps when you need to see something happen.

I assume burt is running this on the sim!!

Ian,
The point I am covering is that Define, has virtually no effect upon the LCD visual refresh rate in simulation.

The 'Define LCD_COMMANDUS = 2000 'delay after LCDCMDOUT, default value is 5000' slows the initialise time for the LCD, then it runs at the regular rate.

What's happening is the micro view it is not showing port pins changing from high to low and input to output and the LCD simulator doesn't show any values.

What's happening is the micro view it is not showing port pins changing from high to low and input to output and the LCD simulator doesn't show any values.

hi burt,
Try this, compile with F9 as usual, then use TOOLS/Program Mem editor... check that the hex file exists.

I assumed a PIC16F877A and 4MHz xtal.

Do any of your programs drive the PIC micro display.???

I'm using a 18f452 I don't think the alldigital is setting the pins right

I'm using a 18f452 I don't think the alldigital is setting the pins right

hi,
Tried with a 18F452 using 4Mhz and 20MHz xtals, no problems,,,, with and without the Define Sim Waitus

I'm going to try it on my old PC maybe it's a windows 7 problem
I no it worked with XP
Forget that it works it's just takes a long time to happen

Attachments

• longtime.jpg
    longtime.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 359
Hi Burt,

aside from running as administrator, have you tried the compatability mode in the shortcut properties and selecting XP SP3 or XP SP2?

I've recently set up a 64bit Win7 machine and am going through the motions of re-installing all the stuff I had on my 32bit XP SP3 machine.

Oshonsoft didn't even start properly for me, until I selected compatability for Win XP SP3. With that said, I still get the "Do you want to allow the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes to this computer?" message, when starting and I've no clue how to get rid of it, without clicking "Yes"...

It's kind of a shame to have 4 64bit cpu run running in 32 bit mode. I'm running it in 64 bit what got me was I no the code worked fine but it is taking a long time to change values like form inputs to ouputs. But it dose what it should. It's just taking longer.

I had the speed set as normal changed that to ultimate and it worked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back