Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Oshon soft - LCD Has anyone ever got this to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeepAndBearArms

Hi All,
Has anyone been able to get an lcd working with a 16f877a, 16f88, or a
16f876 using Oshon. I've been trying for the past two weeks. After a few unsuccessfull atemps I downloaded someones Hex file that ran a LCD. It worked flawlessly so the problem wasn't my pics or my LCDs. The only thing left is my compiler, OSHON PIC SIMULATOR IDE. I've tried there examples using their coded and no luck. I'm using a PicKit 2 for programing the pics. Their reference manual is garbage. Any help or even a working example code would help

TIA
Jesse
Jesse.Roybal@Gmail.com

If you spent 2 weeks on something like getting an LCD working, perhaps you might want to consider a different compiler, or something... I'll agree that getting an LCD working for the first time can be frustrating, because of the many steps you have to go through before it shows its first sign of life, so if you mess up anything you see nothing at all... But at the very worst, you should be able to do it the hard way and watch it step-by-step in simulation to make sure all the signals and timings are correct. I am assuming that if you already spent that much time on it then you must have at least tried this kind of simulation... It's annoying, but if you play by the book and follow all the initialization steps you should be guaranteed to get it working; if your compiler/IDE is somehow preventing you from doing this then that's an issue...

The way I got an LCD module ( bought from e-Bay ) to work, was by trying Nigel's tutorials. Mind you, they didn't assemble until I realised that the 'inc' file was not where it should have been on my PC. However, now that I have seen 'life' I can now adapt the code to whatever I want it to do. ( It took me about two weeks too ). :(

Now it works

I checked my email and guess what I found. A Email from OSHON dated today of and new update Ver 6.5. They just happen to have made the update to the LCD commands and now it works! Strang but about 2 weeks after I posted about needing a COUNT command they released Ver. 6.4 with a new COUNT command. I wonder what I should ask for next?

Thanks for The INPUT guys
Thanks for the updates OSHON

Jesse

i've just tried v6.5 and have compiled nigel's lcd tutorial. Setup the LCD for the correct port and also setup the RW/E lines - no go! :(

KeepAndbearArms - how did you get it working? What code did you use?

hi keepnbeararms,
Have you tried the oshonsoft BB, it at www.manorts.co/phpBB

I have posted a number of lcd inits, they do work. The thing to watch out for with the OS code samples are the long init delays when using the sim, they take forever to time out.

If you get hung up, post the program you have a problem with and I will be pleased to help. Either as Basic or Assembler will do.

Regards
EricG

I have posted a couple of lcd guides on this BB which may help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back