Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Oscilloscope to PC Interface .. .. .. .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Musicmanager

Morning Guys

I wonder if any of you have a solution for this .. .. ..

I have an Instek GDS-1102A-U Oscilloscope which comes with a bit of free software known as Freewave3 which uses USB to link the scope to a PC.

Up until 2 months ago I was running my PC's on Win 7 without any issues and this Freewave3 link worked perfectly, each and every time I used it. However, one of my PC's died and the replacement came preloaded with Windows 10 so I upgraded the others to match. I was surprised to find that the upgrade went well in that everything continued to work, in spite of all the tales of woe on the net, except ... .. ... you've guessed it .. my Freewave3.

Initially, I couldn't get Win 10 to see the scope at all, but then I discovered it thought it was a printer and was trying to operate it with a printer driver .. Tsk!

Now it sees the scope, connects to it OK but after a short period, usually around 10 secs or so it drops the USB connection. sometimes unplugging and then replacing the USB will restore it, but sometimes it will need a reboot .. .. .. .. .

This is doing wonders for my blood pressure, not to mention the already advanced ageing process .. .. .

Any ideas Guys ?

Thanks

S

You don't need to reboot... In Windows 10 you can get to device manager by right clicking "This PC" in explorer then selecting properties, and finally device manager... Open USB controllers and note which one comes on and drops out..

If the device drops out do a rescan, if the device doesn't drop out select the device disable and the re-enable.

If the scope is infact using the printer protocol ( Lots of devices did ) then Windows 10 team, in their infinite wisdom, have re-written the printer protocol... You may need to install a compatable "Generic" printer driver.. I think HP do a universal one...

Hi Guys

I seemed to have solved my problem, so I thought I'd outline my solution in case someone else suffers the same fate .. .. .. .. .. .

I have a Brother All in One Printer attached by USB to the same computer which in stand by mode does a sort of self test check, timing is a bit random. However, if the Freewave3 scope software is running when the printer does it's test, the scope software freezes and only reboot will reinstate it.

The scope has an option in the 'Utility' menu to designate the USB port as 'Auto' ; 'Computer' ; or 'Printer' ;
If the scope software is running and the Brother printer does a self test it changes the USB port designation on the scope to 'Printer' which changes the associated USB driver to a printer driver and since no printer is present everything freezes.

Solution ... make sure the printer is switched off before using the scope ! Simples !

S

My usb 'scope does a similar thing, but fortunately it goes an hour each time so I've never bothered looking into it.

Solution ... make sure the printer is switched off before using the scope ! Simples !

Mi office's PC, still with Win XP, would not initialize completely if the 1Tb external HDD is found still connected through the USB after the last time back up. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back