Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Oscilloscope repair help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccl00757

Hi,

I have an old KIKUSUI scilloscope type COS5021O . It has a problem that the trace is very bright. I cannot reduce it with intensity control. If I rotate the intensity clockwise I hear a high frequency pitch. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Also can somebody has a schematic/service manual?

Regards

Do you see a dot or a horizontal bar?

Do you have vertical deflection?

In other words, is the scope working normal except that the trace is very bright and does not respond to adjustment. If so, look at the adjustment circuit first.
Clean and lubricate the "pot". Check any capacitors for short. Then look into the CRT cathode circuit in general.
Then see if there is an inter-electrode short in the CRT.

That's all I can think of.
Good luck.

Last edited:
With a CRT tester. Since you don't have access to one, measure and record the voltages found on the pins at the back of the tube relative to ground. Do not measure the high voltage at the side of the tube.

Report to us the data you have collected.
If you can, provide the CRT type, the "model number" of the CRT.

What have you checked so far?
Would you mind answering the questions I asked above?

I can't distinguish which pins is the high voltages.
The CRT type is TOSHIBA 150BTB31 .

Last edited:
Adjuster orange wire 5.0V DCbrown wire 3.5V DC.
Electromagnetic deflection coil:
The parataxis pellucid wire 152V DC and 153V DC.
The tow wier splice :green wire 44V DC and blue wire 98V DC

Last edited:
A958、D880 and B834 install with a heatsink.
Neighboring circuit card of the resistance heat to yellowy.

The CRT is the least-likely item to fail. After 12 years working with scopes as a test equipment and calibration tech, I've replaced maybe six CRTs, one with a defect from the factory in the scan expansion mesh and the other five with open heaters -- directly-heated cathodes on Tektronix 200-series scopes with little filament support and customers who treated them like footballs.

Check components in the interface between the sweep unblanking output and the CRT HV circuitry. A very few scope models have a basic bias adjustment; check yours for that.

Be very careful troubleshooting this problem as you'll be dealing with about 2KV in the HV circuit and maybe 10KV on the second anode (although with this problem, you'll not be messing around with that.

Dean

I can't help because you won't answer my simple questions in my first post. I agree the CRT is very likely to be ok.

You only tell us the trace is too bright.
You do not tell us if the scope is otherwise working correctly.

You do not say if you followed the first three suggestions in my first post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back