Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

oscilloscope probe

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnnewton

hello,
I am wanting to measure some high voltages (240VAC 60Hz, 320VDC) and need to know how I can choose the right equipment. I just sold my tektronix tds1001B and am looking at some scopes on ebay that have 4 channels and/or a MSO. I think that the following two are gaining my approval:

**broken link removed**

Input: 1MOhm / 18pF
Maximum Input Voltage
Maximum Input Voltage of the analog channel:
CAT I 300Vrms, 1000Vpk; transient overvoltage
1000Vpk
CAT II 100Vrms, 1000Vpk
RP2200 10:1, CAT II 300Vrms
RP3200 10:1, CAT II 300Vrms
RP3300 10:1, CAT II 300Vrms

**broken link removed**

this one says:
Input Impedance Probe set to 1:1, 1MOhm/60pF
Probe set to 10:1, 10MOhm/30pF

Max. Input Voltage Without Probe max. 30Vpp
With Probe max. 300Vpp
so, does the probe take care of the "scaling of the voltage, or do both need to match? how does the input resistance / capacitance come into play?

And am thinking of this probe for the high voltage stuff:

Tektronix: Oscilloscope Probe Tek P6006, 10X, DC to 27 MHz
**broken link removed**

Can anyone help me to make sense of matching the two? I think I just take the probe max, divide by the attenuation (10x in this case) and that needs to be less than the max Voltage of the scope, but the max voltage has stipulations (probe max, without probe max, CATI, CATII, etc.) and this is where i am lost.

Also, I want to measure current. I know I need a current probe, but how do I select one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back