Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

oscilloscope probe - faulty cable strain relief

Status
Not open for further replies.
I brought a brand spanking new cheapo oscilloscope from farnell two yrs ago. Recently both probes have fallen apart. I don't think the BNC was correctly fitted. The cable strain relief isn't even moulded to the cable hence it twists freely within the connector. One of them has completely failed and the other is on it's last legs. I want to put a new bnc on it but am unsure how to strip the cable.

Ok so i bought abnc connector from maplin . How do I crimp the centre pin onto the coax

Last edited:
Buy new probes - BNC connectors you can buy are designed to fit on exact specific coaxial cable, scope probes use VERY special (and completely different) cable.

hi,
You should use a crimping tools designed for that BNC, failing that try using a strong pair of pliers.

There are pressure type BNC's , where you bare the coax ends and screw the BNC connector together, this provides a pressure contact.

Also there are solder type BNC's.

In the BNC packet you bought there should be a diagram showing the coax stripping detail lengths

All because I have done many of them. I had lots of Pomona cables that I redid the ends. You get good at it after a while.

Here: **broken link removed** is a place to start.

Note a couple of documents, the cable group and the cable procedure. e.g. 755-104-9

The cable group really determines the size of the cable. That has to match. I've made RG174, RG-58, N and Triax cables which are all 50 ohm.

For RG6 and Cat 5/6, I use a stripping tool. For RG-6 and RG6-QS, I now use a compression connector. I do cut the RG-6 solid copper at an angle. I do like the EZ-RJ45 connectors.

I never bought a crimper for those cables. I don't really like them.

You really start out with a flush cut and put some of the connector parts on the cable. Then use the stripping guide. It's nice to have a digital caliper.

Then you do a fold-over for the shield

Then center pin was never crimped with the connectors I used, however, the only way to make lots of them is to use a resistance soldering tool. You cannot get ANY solder on the outside of the pin.

When assembled, the first step of the pin should be flush. That's the hard part.

With the kit, you may also need a flat thin wrench to frip the BNC body.

Trompeter and Kings were their own separate companies. The Kings catalog had a wealth of information in it.

It actually might be cheaper to buy a set of probes from ebay.

I agree w/ Nigel - buy new. Ebay sells the Chinese 100MHz 10:1 probes for a mere $18 for a pair!!! Believe it or not they are getting good user reviews on the net. They certainly aren't Tek or HP probes but then for hobbyist purposes they will suffice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back