Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Oscilloscope help for a complete noob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Names MikeBruce

I just got started in electronics. I want to get into Guitar Amp repair as well as modding and designing effects for electric guitar. It would be cool to meet people in this field!

Anyway i am setting up a workarea and right now I am focusing on small scale circuits so I can understand them. I am reading and almost through Getting Started in Electronics by Forrest Mims. Fun and great book btw...

Anyway I just bought a Tektronix 2465 300Mhz for 250 cash. Its in perfect condition and hardly used and came with everything. The reason I bought was because it was a great deal, at least from what i have been looking at.

For the line of work I am doing... should I just sell this and buy something else. Or will i find this 4 channel 300 Mhz usefull sometime?

thats it
Thanks!

The scope will be fine for what you're doing, sounds like a decent scope - more than you need, but it will be even more useful in the future because of that.

Bruce

Take no notice of Nigel:D

That oscilloscope is totally unsuitable and will bring you nothing but misery.
There is however a way out for you, you must carefully pack it up and send it to me.
If nothing else, this will result in good kharma for you.:D:D

JimB

Bruce

Take no notice of Nigel:D

That oscilloscope is totally unsuitable and will bring you nothing but misery.
There is however a way out for you, you must carefully pack it up and send it to me.
If nothing else, this will result in good kharma for you.:D:D

JimB

There must be a little bit of truth in what is said about Scottish people. :D:D

Hans

Well it seems this one is pretty nice...
I really bought this because it was a good deal.

I still dont feel I studied enough before my purchase though. So if I sell this I make money and potentially get a Osc. for free! But if you think I should keep this one since it was only 250 bucks than i just might.

Can you tell me this... is 4 channel necessary? And can you give me an example of when a 300 Mhz Osc might be useful?

thanks
MikeBruce

Last edited:
Its a good scope; I have the same one. Keep it.
And can you give me an example of when a 300 Mhz Osc might be useful?
When you get some projects under your belt, you'll find the 300 Mhz bandwidth useful. Maybe you'll want to make/fix a wireless pickup for a guitar which operates at RF. Or maybe build a digital circuit and check it for glitches. For now, you can still use it on audio projects knowing you have the headroom to do more if needed.
is 4 channel necessary?
Useful when you want to measure the input, midpoint and output of a circuit simultaneously. BTW, the 3rd and 4th channels are kind of limited on that scope but still useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back