Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Oscilloscope for a noob...

Status
Not open for further replies.

UTMonkey

I don't want to set too many hares loose on this one (apologies in advance).

I think it quite likely that sooner or later I would want to see the "shape" of signals on my circuits so will need to purchase an oscilloscope.

Here are my requirements
1. I will need to to analyse small analogue and digital circuits (i wont be stuffing the probes in my telly).
2. Small, my wife is already complaining about the mess I leave about the place.
3. Cheap. lets face I am a noob. I could drop this hobby next month once I hit a brick wall so I wouldnt want to throw too much money at it.
4. a decent amount of functionality, I dont want to buy it and then realise on my second project the scope won't cope.

Am I asking too much?

What do you think of these on the maplins site?

**broken link removed** @ £79.99

and

**broken link removed** @ a whopping £199

Thanks in advance.

Mark

The first one is more of a toy than anything else, the second one isn't too bad - however, neither are really a replacement for a real scope - useful additions, but you really need a proper scope first.

I am looking on the web now, they are way too expensive. even the used ones.

do you have links i could follow?

Thanks

I'd take the Rolls which JimB pointed to. Very nice machine, good to learn all about scopes on, and should last a lifetime.
The ebay one you pointed to, UTMonkey, is a clone, or copy of a Tek digital. Even the real Teks (digital) do not work as well as their analog scopes do, in my humble opinion

I've been to the pub for lunch!, and to the supermarket - back now :D

I would agree with the others, if you want a digital storage scope, then the one listed may well be fine - but it all depends how much it goes for in an auction, and if there is a reserve on it. The one JimB listed is a 'real' scope, and would probably be far better for you, plus it's even higher spec.

Thanks all.

Just seen the one from JimB, blimey do I need to reinforce my table to accomodate this one!

Thing is, one of the requirements was that it had to be small. ah well, better tell the wife to expect a new arrival.

Cheers ;)

It's really a question of finding a scope at a reasonable price, I've got two, a Goodwill 20MHz double beam, and an Hitachi 30MHz double beam - I paid £40 or £50 each for them - but it took me probably 30 years to come across them!.

UTMonkey said:
What did you use before that??

I used to have a Telequipment 10Mhz double beam, I got it free as it was ex-BR and 110V only (I fitted an auto-transformer inside it) - dont have it any more, I gave it to a friend in Cardiff.

I have been using a Madell mini scope. It works pretty good and is cheap new. But it is not as high quality as some of the used ones on ebay. The first one I got had a problem with the tube, and they sent me a replacement and covered the shipping of the defective scope. Great customer service.

They make several versions, but I got the mini 1-channel version because it was fairly cheap and very portable, which I needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back