Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Oscilloscope bandwidth v time/div

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeThinker

Hi I have an oscilloscope with a 50 mhz bandwidth, its time/div goes down to 2ns so far so good.However I have seen 100mhz scope with a time/div of 2ns and 50mhz scopes with a time/div of 5ns. Ok now i'm confused, I know bw is the 3db roll off but how does this relate to the time base? seems to be arbitrary and manufacturer dependent.Any one any info?

It's simply an arbitary decision by the manufacturer - the same applies to Y deflection settings as well, with some scopes having far better ranges than others.

Thanks, as I thought.Prolly to do with standard units being cobbled together to a price point.Still don't see why they would have a better band width then horizontal resolution unless it's a transient thing.

Last edited:
It costs more to have an accurate, fast time-base sweep for an analog scope, so cheaper scopes generally have a slower maximum sweep rate.

Cost is not much of a factor for digital scopes since the physical horizontal sweep rate is unrelated to the displayed time base at small time/div display. The digital sampling system collects the data rapidly, stores it, and then displays it leisurely on the display. That's why high speed data can be displayed on a slow LCD screen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back