Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Oscilloscope and capacitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stk2008

Hi all as some of you may remember I have an Oscilloscope its a tek 2205 20Mhz.

I was trying to learn how to test the discharge time of a capacitor but unlike on a digital scope I cant keep the trace on screen to see when I pressed the button to charge to when I releases it to watch the capacitor discharge.

I think I can only do this with a storage scope?.

Thanks

hi,
A bit fiddly, but you could use a 555 or another simple timer to pulse a relay.

The relay contacts would charge the cap and also externally trigger the scope.

Do you have the oscilloscope in the NORM trigger mode not the AUTOMATIC Mode, with DC trigger coupling and minus slope? In the NORM mode you can adjust the trigger level so that it will only trigger at start of the discharge.

Nope I had it set to AUTO I will give what you say a go when I next get free in me workshop (problems with having kids and a better half I suppose hahahahaha).

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back