Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Oscillators (Clapp and Colpitts)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wakoko79

Hi..

So we have a design problem, we need to create a VCO for FM transmitter (f0=94MHz, 2kHz to 4MHz bandwidth). I'd like to use a Colpitts or a Clapp. According to wikipedia, a Clapp is just a Colpitts with an extra capacitor in series with the inductor. Some sources says (including the link below) that a Clapp is a series tuned Colpitts oscillator. (Can anyone give links for basic analysis of Clapp? Google failed me here.)

So I tried to find answers on the net on topologies that I can use. I found this site:
https://www.qsl.net/va3iul/High_Frequency_VCO_Design_and_Schematics/High_Frequency_VCO_Design_and_Schematics.htm

It really is good, complete with qualitative explanation, except that I'm not really good with analysis.

Look at this picture:
View attachment 60686

From what I see (after I read the explanation):
L2 is a RFC -- should not be included in small signal model.
C3 is part of the tuning circuit.
C2 -- i don't know if this is just a bypass cap or considered as part of the LC tank
--- Is this a negative feedback circuit?

Here is the small signal model that I did:
View attachment 60688

Based on the general form of oscillators, C3 should have been the inductor to get an oscillation, and L1 should have been a capacitor instead, right? So what went wrong with me? I know the statement I just said was wrong, but I don't know how was I wrong. Please help.

Please help me analyze this circuit. Or if you can, please go deeper on the first 3 topologies discussed in the link I gave above.

I just hate it when in the university teaches you over simplified circuits which you CAN'T use in real life cuz they're too ideal. Then give you a hell of problems with projects and exams. Just sayin'.

Thanks in advanced. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back