Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.

yasir_ali

Hello.
can any one tell me which Oscillator is the Best for a range in Mhz? And which Oscillator has the best Stability in all aspects?
thanks

Last edited:
A crystal oscillator is high frequency and is extremely stable.

At 1MHz you can use just about any kind of oscillator you like: crystal, LC or RC will all work and are practical, each has its advantages and disadvantages.

Does it need to be adjustable?

A crystal oscillator is very stable but it's not very adjustable unless you use a PLL which is complicated.

RC and LC oscillators aren't quite as stable but at least the frequency can be easily adjusted.

A crystal oscillator is very stable but it's not very adjustable unless you use a PLL which is complicated.

I don't see how a PLL would increase how much a crystal oscillator can be adjusted.

With a fundamental crystal, you can adjust by maybe +/- 500ppm at most. An overtone crystal can't be adjusted nearly as much. A PLL can only automate the adjustment, it can't increase it.

The BH14xx FM stereo transmitter ICs use a single 7.6MHz crystal oscillator and a frequency sythesizer using a PLL to obtain 4 different FM channels that are selected with a DIP-switch.

I don't see how a PLL would increase how much a crystal oscillator can be adjusted.

With a fundamental crystal, you can adjust by maybe +/- 500ppm at most. An overtone crystal can't be adjusted nearly as much. A PLL can only automate the adjustment, it can't increase it.

I meant, a PLL can be used as a frequency multiplier with an adjustable multiplication factor so it's possible to vary the frequency of the output.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back