Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Os Installation Problems On New Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

aibelectronics

OK got a new compaq presario laptop with free dos pre-installed. I formatted the hard drive (format c: y) and went with on with MS Vista Installation and the message I get is "cannot find bootable device...".

So I tried to install ubuntu linux 6.06 - it fared better - but at the end it ends up displaying "uncompressing linux...ok. booting the kernel" with a cursor blinking at the bottom. And it stays there indefinitely.

The Hard drive is SATA...

What could be the way out of this?

The details of the laptop are:

160GB Hard Disk
1GB of RAM
Has capability of Floppy/ USB Booting..

Thanks.

Last edited:
My drive is a sata drive and I have dual boot XP and Ubuntu. Put a bootable CD in your drive and change the Bios to boot from CD.

Mike.

Memory devices just store bits!they dont care whether they are linux, windows or ubuntu ones!

You used to have to boot from the install CD then load the SATA drivers from a floppy before installing, but this is no longer necessary. I'm not sure if it is because of hardware improvements or something that was added to XP, or a little of both.

Last edited:

OK, what of this one?

"uncompressing linux...ok. booting the kernel"

Alright XP will install but with overhead involved of course :) But wondering why Vista that
doesn't require this SATA drivers overhead shouldn't install. Also wondering why my Linux should only do a part-install. Bad Vista CD perhaps..

I'll do some 'twiggling' around and come back with how things turn up

Alright XP will install but with overhead involved of course :) But wondering why Vista that
doesn't require this SATA drivers overhead shouldn't install. Also wondering why my Linux should only do a part-install. Bad Vista CD perhaps..

So you've tried three different OS's, none of which will install - sounds like you have a hardware problem more than anything else?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back