Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

OS for an embedded computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llamarama

Hello everyone, I've just built myself a tiny embedded computer as a pet project, but can't decide what OS to put on it.

It has 1gb ram, a 40gb hdd, and only 800MHz to play with. (Based on a VIA EPIA-SP)

I was thinking of running it with a DOS based version of windows, maybe even a build of Chicago I found way-back-when.

Anyone got any suggestions? :)

I'd prefer a DOS/Windows style setup. Lots of the Linux distros I've tried run rather sluggish, though XP ran decently. It would also be better for the older software I have that doesn't agree with WINE.

What about FreeDOS?

Also, if you think running Linux on a box like that is sluggish, you aren't setting your box up right. Likely, Wine might be a bit too much, but you shouldn't have problems with a version of Linux meant for small footprints or whatnot (try a netbook version, for instance). You could always customize something yourself (go with a smaller window manager - ie, stay away from gnome or KDE); you could even run it without X (command line), though the specs can easily support X. I've been running a Linux with a GUI since the 486 days with only 8-16 mb RAM - it is possible.

Another option might be BSD. Then there are also a ton of experimental OS's out there if you really want to "play around". You haven't really said, though, what your plan for this box is (if it just to run old Windows/DOS software, though, then just drop Windows 98 on it and be done with it).

I'll have to have a look at 98 lite, heard of it, but never really looked into it.

Might give FreeDOS a go as well, I have a copy of it knocking about on an external hard drive somewhere. Either that or run 95/98 on it and try messing around with porting the Chicago shell to the more modern under-pinnings.

Sadly it will have to wait as I've popped the power supply, and it'll take a while to get another one that will fit in the enclosure, typical eh? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back