Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Original ICD2 - What headers are needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atferrari

Most Helpful Member
I would like to have one ICD2 but have no experience with it.

Price is a consideration, but have read (without understanding much about) that different "headers" are needed to cover the different micros.

Can anyone clarify this briefly?

Please:

a) don't ask me to look into the MC documents. Did already but without some pevious insight I couldn't understand what I actually should buy, besides the ICD2 itself.

b) $$$ to afford one, are limited here but don't suggest clones. I don't consider them for the moment.

Thanks

atferrari said:
I would like to have one ICD2 but have no experience with it.

Price is a consideration, but have read (without understanding much about) that different "headers" are needed to cover the different micros.

Can anyone clarify this briefly?

Please:

The ICD2 has a socket on it, from that you connect a lead to your target board - but your target board has to be designed for this purpose, which is fairly easy, but does place some limitations on the design. If you're not wanting to program in circuit you could make little PCB's (or veroboard) which connect to the programming socket - this could be called 'headers'.

a) don't ask me to look into the MC documents. Did already but without some pevious insight I couldn't understand what I actually should buy, besides the ICD2 itself.

b) $$$ to afford one, are limited here but don't suggest clones. I don't consider them for the moment.

Why not?, is money is limited (and isn't it always?), why spend a LOT more to do the same job?.

Simply because...

Why not? said:
Bringing something to this place, passing Customs who always consider this as nuclear material and asking lot of $$$ in arbitrary ways, makes easier going to the local MC representative and buy one.

Imagine what has been in the last 30 years being subscriptor to foreign electronics magazines. Better to buy them in the press stand, paying 4 times its value and not dealing with a corrupt postal system where 2 or 3 off 12 don't reach my home.

You will be surprised how much it costs to buy one IC selected from the Farnell catalog and put on the counter some 25 days later...!

A digression: as a young Chief Officer I had the chance (and the money) to buy my Yaesu transceiver (FT901DM).

When entering the country the best they found was to ask me paying duties as if I was importing a receiver AND a transmitter.

If in the future, I am given the chance to be born again, I will accept on the condition of being able to choose where to go. Imagine where I will not....

Enough said.

atferrari said:
There is only one original, the Microchip ICD2. It's resonably priced for the target market and a nice device.
The clones target a different market, normally hobbyists and students.
My Inchworm ICD2 is a no frills clone. As simple as it could be designed, but it does work and works well.
Some more expensive clones have USB support, some have buffering for 3.3v PICs, some have programmable VPP, some switch VDD etc...
The real Microchip ICD2 does all this.
Point is all except the Microchip ICD2 are clones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back