Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Optoisolator choosing correct one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coopznz

Hi guys and girls

I have a Hydrawise Irrigation controller which takes an input for a flow meter, its based on a simple switch device ie reed switch but the Hydrawise flow meter is between $400 and $500 so no thanks far over priced, I have found a really good 50 mm flow meter for around $80 which is now plumbed in and ready to go, issue is the new flow meter is hall effect (3 wire) and the Hydrawise controller supplies its own 5 v output for the flow meter (two wire) , simple solution to me is to use an Optoisolator sitting between the units and I successfully set one up on the bench with a scope and was able to operate it with a 12 v supply on the input side and a 5 v supply on the output, before I commit to this method I discovered there is multiple types of OptoIsolators and are now a little confused on which one will be best?

I'm not dense, but I may be missing something; as I read - the old controller system is looking for a simple switch closure, the new meter requires 5V, GND, and outputs a hall signal? So I assume you have the supply rails reckoned, and are just trying to close a 12V circuit with the hall output?

If you have a working bench setup, why do you think that the isolator you're using isn't sufficient?

Aye, there is indeed a variety - all the way up to killowatt "Solid state relay" triac drivers - how much current are you switching?

As well, whatever works works - but you very well may be able to perform the same function with a transistor.

I only had a chance to do a quick bench setup while home, I am now back at work, New meter requires 12v GND and outputs a half signal, you cant input the hall effect device direct to the Hydrawise controller, in fact the input at the Hydrawise controller I was unable to determine what voltage they are using (you have no true ground to test too)

I can;t figure out what your trying to say either.

Generally, you have a sensor and a meter or you can have something like https://proteusind.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/8000TRM.pdf
and a readout.

You can see some sensor wiring here: https://assets.omega.com/manuals/te...flow/paddlewheel-flow-meters/M3814.pdf#page-4

A sensor might just be +5, gnd and an open collector output transistor.

If you requre an open collector sensor and the sensor is not, you can add a Shockley diodse or sometimes a regular diode.

Look at the output of your sensor, unpowered with the diode function of your DVM. Also check for resistance to the + power supply.

Check the readout too, to see if the input is pulled up to some level.

You can load the readout with a potentiometer until he voltage is 1/2. Measure the pot and this is the input Z of the readout.

OPTOMOS relays, basically an optocoupler have really low input current requirements, on the order of 1 mA, but you;ll have to add a resistor.

There are lots of optocouplers, but the OPTOMOS relay, the schmidt trigger, FET and bi-polar transistor might be worthwhile to look at.

A diode might be all that's required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back