Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Opto-isolator basic question

Status
Not open for further replies.

n9rex

I have build a standard opto-isolator (4N37) circuit with input coming in on pin 1 &2. The opto is powered by 5V to Pin5 through a 10K resistor, Pin4 is grounded, Pin6 is grounded through a 400K resistor.

When the input side of the opto is low, Pin4 has a voltage, but when the input goes high, Pin4 doesn't have voltage. It is reversed from what I would expect, the other side of the opto would only have voltage if the input was high. I'm sure this is something basic that I am missing and don't understand. Basically, the opto seems to be working as its picking up the changes in one circuit and switching but not in the manner I expect.

hi,
The output is inverted due to the transistor.

low, Pin4 has a voltage, but when the input goes high, Pin4 doesn't have voltage.

Do you mean pin 5 ???

EDIT:
Is it connected as in this image.?

Attachments

• AAesp04.gif
    AAesp04.gif
    11.7 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Thank you very much. Yes, I did mean Pin 5 and it is just like the image. How can I invert that signal?

Thank you very much. Yes, I did mean Pin 5 and it is just like the image. How can I invert that signal?

hi,
One way you could try, is to connect the collector [pin 5] to +5V and place a 4.7K in the emitter [pin4] to 0V... keep the 400k connected to the Base.

There should be a signal now on pin 4, NOTE: it will not be +5V!...
If the output voltage level is not high enough you will need to add an inverter transistor to your original circuit... OK?

To invert, tie pin 5 to +5 and pin 4 to ground thru the resistor. You inverted signal is on pin 4. Sometimes it is not necessary to have a bias resistor on pin 6 at all.

Awesome, I will try this today. Thank you for helping me with this. I am obviously still learning the basics.

The bias resistor on pin 6 reduces the opto gain but tends to make it faster. So its value determines the tradeoff between speed and sensitivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back