Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

opto isolator and r/c

Status
Not open for further replies.

jandirks

Newbie alert!

Hi,

I fly radio control airplanes and sometimes experience interference problems. Probably you understand this can cause crashes and I don't want that. To eliminate most of the problems, I have thought about using an opto isolator.

Between the receiver and each component (motor controller and servo's) are 3 wires (+, - and signal, 4.8-6v).

I have no electronics experience at all, anyone that can point me a direction where to find information about this?

Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't have thought that's a likely cure for any interference?, at that point the signal is a digital one (actually PWM) at logic levels, and will be very immune to interference.

If you're getting interference problems it's far more likely to be entering via the aerial input!.

Thanks for your response!

I am not an expert on interference problems and I only know about it from what I have read. Seems that most interference is comming going from the speed controller (motor controller) and originates from the motor.

For people with no r/c knowledge:

The speed controller (esc - electronics speed controller) is powered by a battery. The esc 'forwards' power to the receiver and the brushless motor.

Edit: Last sentence was not ok, changed.

jandirks said:
Thanks for your response!

I am not an expert on interference problems and I only know about it from what I have read. Seems that most interference is comming going from the speed controller (motor controller) and originates from the motor.

For people with no r/c knowledge:

The receiver is speed controller (esc - electronics speed controller) is powered by a battery. The esc 'forwards' power to the receiver and the brushless motor.

Are you sure that's where it's coming from?, a brushless motor is usually pretty good in that respect (unlike brushed motors).

Nigel,

Not 100% sure if it's comming from the motor, but at least it is going from the esc to the receiver.

So, if I can pass the signal through an opto isolator, preferably without the need for extra batteries, that would be great.

I really have no idea where too look at, that is why I posted here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back