Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

opto coupler

Status
Not open for further replies.

jin29_neci

:?:

can help me guys how to use an opto coupler in a circuit.

i just experince repairing switch mode power supply I suspected a defective opto coupler, then I replace it (PC817). The Tv set powers on.

Another experince is when I check for resistance in the pin 4 (PC817) of a opto coupler the LED for stand by circuit the LED blinks.

Can you help with this guys Im confused on how a opto coupler used in a circuit like for example in the switch mode power supply, how a opto coupler isolates the high voltage section and low voltage section?

sorry for this question? I always want to explore more in electronics.

thanks. GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

It would really help to have a schematic of your application.

Sometimes opto-couplers are used in a linear mode to transmit linear signals across the isolation barrier, but more often they are used to transmit on/off control signals or modulated pulses (either pulse width or pulse rate information).

Measuring with an ohmmeter in circuit under voltage: not a good experience. The reaction (LED blinks) in this case understandable and lucky. (in worst case : bang!)
Without sematic and/or experience measuring is senseless.
If the circuit contain IC, the datasheet is helpful.

jin29_neci said:
thanks guys for the post.

but how could so say that a opto coupler is defective?

An opto-coupler is (usually) just an LED and a photo-transistor, it's simple enough to test statically - but for power supply use a static test doesn't prove much!. Far easier to test it by substitution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back