Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Options for portable power of a air compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.

atattack

I have a 12vdv air compressor that I am trying to figure out how to power it from a wall socket and also a portable power source. Here is a link to the compressor.

**broken link removed**

Here are the stats
Features
•200 PSI
•Oil-Less
•Weatherproof Filter
•Chrome Finish
•100% Duty Cycle
•3570 RPM Motor
•3.76 CFM @0 PSI
•13.25 VDC (40A Max) Amp Draw
•87 Sound DB
•3-Year Warranty

I was planning on just wiring a car charger adapter to the compressor and using a wall plug converter like this one

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-Adapter/dp/B001TXWNLQ

to plug it into a wall socket. And was hoping this JNC660

**broken link removed**

would give me the power to power this compressor for about 40 minutes as the second option for power. Do you guys know if this would work? I appreciate the help, please ask if I can provide any other info and thanks again.

I was planning on just wiring a car charger adapter to the compressor and using a wall plug converter like this one

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-Adapter/dp/B001TXWNLQ
Please refer to: **broken link removed**

Note the converter puts out 0.8A max and your compressor requires 40A max. So, no, that won't work.

Re the JNC660, I've no idea of the capacity - it certainly has sufficient current capacity; if the voltage is appropriate, it should work - but dunno for how long.

You can't use standard lighter socket style plugs for 40 amps, the connectors are only rated for 10 amps, any solution you find will require bolted on wiring, or super heavy duty connectors, like those used to charge fork lifts. You could use an ATX power supplies 12 volt lines, many decent ATX supplies should be able to handle 40 amps though you'll have to bind all the +12 volt lines with some heavy duty connections. However due to the high stall currents of a compressor during startup under load you may have to provide additional buffer parts (a large capacitor or/and choke) to keep the ATX supply from going in to protection mode from the sharp spikes in current draw.

Realistically the easiest and most reliable option would be to use a common 12 volt automotive type battery charger to power it.

Any decent sized one will easily handle the 40 amp peak loads and will still give you sufficient power output in the normal load ranges as well.

Realistically the easiest and most reliable option would be to use a common 12 volt automotive type battery charger to power it.

Any decent sized one will easily handle the 40 amp peak loads and will still give you sufficient power output in the normal load ranges as well.
You would need a large automobile charger, such as those rated to start an engine not just charge the battery.

Would there be any way to power this through a car's light socket? Either by powering the compressor directly from socket or the automobile charger?

atattack, let me state again, the lighter socket adapters are rated for around 10 amps, I've seen some car outlets rated fro 15-25amps, even those outside high end sockets don't even come close to the 40amps your device can draw, and if you insert a poor mating plug or a dirty connector a fire is bound to occur.

Last edited:
You would need a large automobile charger, such as those rated to start an engine not just charge the battery.
What about the automobile charger?

Something similar to one of these would do just fine. **broken link removed**

Odds are you could get one cheap at a garage sale and refit its guts into a much smaller case too! ;)

If you are really fussy about power quality toss a few big 10,000+ uf capacitors in with it.

Last edited:
I have a 12vdv air compressor that I am trying to figure out how to power it from a wall socket and also a portable power source. Here is a link to the compressor.

**broken link removed**

Here are the stats
Features
•200 PSI
•Oil-Less
•Weatherproof Filter
•Chrome Finish
•100% Duty Cycle
•3570 RPM Motor
•3.76 CFM @0 PSI
•87 Sound DB
•3-Year Warranty

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-Adapter/dp/B001TXWNLQ

to plug it into a wall socket. And was hoping this JNC660

**broken link removed**

would give me the power to power this compressor for about 40 minutes as the second option for power. Do you guys know if this would work? I appreciate the help, please ask if I can provide any other info and thanks again.

With that power, you could probably run it on a AA battery for a few hours. If you are drawing 40 A to do that, the compressor/motor may set a record for inefficiency.

Seriously, check this site out for more realistic calculations: http://www.truetex.com/aircompressors.htm

As for the other comments, I agree that most consumer grade battery chargers will have a hard time delivering just one HP of power for any period. Even one with a boost or start setting will not run run at heavy current. If you don't need much volume of compressed air, buy a cylinder or fill your own. If you do need a substantial volume of compressed air, that takes power, and you need to design for it. Have you ever wondered why sand blasters use 100-HP compressors?

John

Again though, be mindful of your contacts! Automobile chargers use heavy duty clamps with very stiff springs, screw terminals would be preferred for any long term use. Try searching around online for contacts that are rated for 50-60 amps to get an idea of what you'd need if you want easily removable connections.

So it seems powered by cigarette lighter is out, so now I just gotta find a automobile charger that is small. Appreciate link to ebay wheeled version, I am looking now and trying to find one with terminals like you mentioned.

If its going to be a dedicated power source you can remove the original battery clamps and leads and put your own lug connectors on the front that are normally used for welders. Any welding supply place will have a selection of different panel and cable mount lug connectors to chose from.

As far as power goes to me 14 volts at 40 amps is only 560 watts which is well within the continuous working capacity of any decent quality battery charger with a 50 amp charge and 200+ amp starting capacity rating or more or a common microwave oven transformer with a rewound secondary.

No big mystery physics there.

**broken link removed**

Would I be able to get by with this model? I am having trouble finding one rated higher that is not wheel based.

Yes, the specs match what you need. 40amps continuous 110amps starting.
Seeing as how your motor is stated at being peak 40amps you would run it in starting mode.

Last edited:
The other option is to buy two or three lower powered units, 15 - 20 amp, and combine their guts all in one case. The typical portable hand held battery charger case is mostly empty space in side and with a little rework the transformers from two or three identical units can all be stuffed in one case and ran to a single set of high current diodes.

For lug terminals just get a set of cheap monster cable speaker lug connectors being most of them are massively over built for what they do and can easily carry 40 amps with peaks far higher for short term.

For a basic DC power source intended to drive a electric motor you don't need fancy you need robust and durable which is typically done as simply and cheaply as possible.

As far as the 40 amp rating thats the load it will pull at its peak pressure which means at less pressure it also draws less power.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back