Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

optical detection

Status
Not open for further replies.

inservi

Hello,
I would like to detect the passage of slot racing car 1 / 32. After testing different types of sensors (Hall effect, metal detector ...) I think the best system is optical. I can not make changes or has the track or cars. I think the best solution is to make a bridge with a signal emitting LED and an optotransistor for receiving and detecting a change. Thus, the transmitter and receiver must be in a bridge about 17 cm (6.5 inches) above the runway. Is there someone who had already made such a system? I think I need a focusing lens to the receiver to find where the car is passing. I would see a radius of about 3 cm (1 inch) to about 17cm (6.5 inches).
It seems a diagonal beam should give good results, but with a focusing lens I think.

I am also currently testing with a metal detector and it works very well for a track. But when I put the 4 detectors, they disturb them because they are only 10 cm apart, and I have to adjust the sensitivity to detect the engine about 3 cm (1 inch). There are some strange effects.

RFID tags would be a good solution, but it must then place a sticker on every car owners do not like this kind of change in their models. It should also be faster because the standard 125KHz antenna is not fast enough to detect crossings lasting approximately 10-50 ms for some cars. The RFID system is faster too expensive.

If the optical system is too complicated to achieve, it remains the Hall effect sensors, but I have to find a model sensitive enough. Approximately 5 to 10 Gauss.

Thank you for your ideas if you have already done this kind of detection.

Best regards
Daniel ROBERT

Can you put a piece of "retroreflective tape" on the track, illuminate it from above, and detect the "on-axis" reflected light or IR?

Hello Mike,
Thank you. We can not change the nature of the track bacause that can change the grip. We can not rely on a change of color because cars can have the color of the track. I think the best approach is to detect a deflection of light but without the use of laser. Should we use the lenses for that ?

Best regards
Daniel ROBERT

break the beam... you can use LED sources... but why not a laser pointer?

Yes Ubergeek63 it's maybe a good idea, i don't know what will be the advantage, with a laser ?
I think that the problem is at the receiver side for look only the zone where is the car. there are 4 tracks at 10 cm each.

Best regards,
Daniel ROBERT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back