Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

opening different file types???

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaneshane1

Hi im trying to open some files from an eboot.pbp its an update file for the playstation portable, I've got a pbp unpacker which unpackes all the files in the eboot.pbp.

and im left with these files

PARAM.SFO
ICON.PNG (this one is an easy one :D)
DATA.PSP
DATA.PSAR

Does anyone know how i can open these files? I've searched the web but cant seem to find anything supporting these file types, SFO, PSP, PSAR ???

shaneshane1 said:
Hi im trying to open some files from an eboot.pbp its an update file for the playstation portable, I've got a pbp unpacker which unpackes all the files in the eboot.pbp.

and im left with these files

PARAM.SFO
ICON.PNG (this one is an easy one :D)
DATA.PSP
DATA.PSAR

Does anyone know how i can open these files? I've searched the web but cant seem to find anything supporting these file types, SFO, PSP, PSAR ???

Here, I've done the first one for you: https://filext.com/file-extension/PSAR

I don't think you need me to do the rest of them for you--just alter the URL.

Download a shareware hex editor and check them out. You might find something interesting.

What are you trying to do?

Torben

well im eventually going to try and change some apps in the update(eboot.pbp) :confused:

I know that there is already custom firmware for the psp, there is only a couple of people in the world that have been able to do this, and submitt it to everyone so they can use it, im not trying to do this by any means.

when i can open and understand some of these files :confused:, i would like to be able to mabye change some txt or something and then update the psp using the modified eboot.pbp :confused:

I am a long long way of doing this and still need to learn heaps, because if i get it wrong and update with the modified eboot.pbp, it may never work again!!!

[EDIT] that link doesnt help open the file, i already have the PSAR file from the eboot.pbp, and I've used a hex editor to open it, but i dont think that ill ever work out whats what with those numbers, inside this file there is other files that i need to access, but a hex editor is not what is needed to obtain them, i need a program that opens PSAR files and extracts its content, and same for the others.

Last edited:
Ah, OK. I see what you're after now, I think.

Does googling for psppet or psardumper give you anything you can use, or have you already tried those? There seems to be a lot of chat on the net about those.

Other than that, I've never tried this with a PSP. There do seem to be boards full of people who have though.

Torben

Torben said:
Ah, OK. I see what you're after now, I think.

Does googling for psppet or psardumper give you anything you can use, or have you already tried those? There seems to be a lot of chat on the net about those.

Other than that, I've never tried this with a PSP. There do seem to be boards full of people who have though.

Torben

blueroomelectronics said:
Might have more luck on a Playstation forum

yes i may be able to use psardumper but that means i need to extract the PSAR file through the psp using the program called PSAR dumper.

but custom firmware is needed to run the program, i do have custom firmware so i could do it that way,but i want to put my psp on official firmware, and then mod a newer firmware (eboot.pbp) and run it.

so if i have version 3.80 firmware, i want to download version 3.90 (eboot.pbp) from sony and modify it and then run the update.

but it seems that i cant extract the content of these files without the custom firmware, but there must be a way to extract all the files of the eboot.pbp on the pc? otherwise how would there be a custom firmware in the first place? all these files are very easily obtained on the custom firmware.

I have viewed the content of the eboot.pbp before using custom firmware and there are at least 30 other files in the psar file.

I have been to psp forums asking this questions, but it would seem that they are all sheep following everyone else doing the same thing, they just say you need custom firmware to access these files.

But there MUST be a way to open the files on a pc?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back