Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

opamp, voltage subctration then amplify

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectrum

opamp, voltage subtraction then amplify

hello all,

i was looking for an op.amp scheme to subtract and amplify. I'm not asking for a complete circuit. I'm just looking for suggestions, for example what op.amp configuration i have to use, and so on.

As input i have a 125Khz, 200Vpp signal. It can vary sometime from 200 to 199V.

I need to convert this variation into 0-> 1V variation, with a subtracion, then i would like to have the variation amplified as 0-> 5V.

Actually i have available a TLC272 powered 0 and 5 V.

Thanks , angelo

Last edited:
We are confused!
You have a 125khz signal that has a voltage of 200 p-p.
It is 200 volts and some times 199 volts.
You want 199 volts to equal 0, and 200 volts to equal 1 volt.
This 0 to 1 volt, is it 125khz AC or do you want DC?
Then you want the 0 to 1 volt amplified to 0 to 5 volts.

Is 5 volts the only low voltage supply around?
Is it OK to go from 199/200 to 0/5 volts direct?
The 0/5 volts is it DC or 125khz AC?
How much current will be pulled from the output?
How accurate 1%, 5%, 10%?
How temperature stable? 1%/degree C?

I need more information! What are you doing?

ok, i try to reformat the question as simple as i can.

I have an information in a 125Khz carrier, 200Vpp. The information is the Vpp that change between 199 and 200Vpp.

Let's cut the signal with a diode, and work only with the pulsed positive part.
If easier to work with pulsed only positive part, after a diode, so 100 and 99,5V are now the levels.

I need to have this information whit a -99,5 offset, a kind of cutting the wave, so i would get 0 and 0,5V information.

I don't have other DC sources thant 0 and 5V.

That's all i need for now.
thanks
angelo

spectrum said:
ok, i try to reformat the question as simple as i can.

I have an information in a 125Khz carrier, 200Vpp. The information is the Vpp that change between 199 and 200Vpp.

Let's cut the signal with a diode, and work only with the pulsed positive part.
If easier to work with pulsed only positive part, after a diode, so 100 and 99,5V are now the levels.

I need to have this information whit a -99,5 offset, a kind of cutting the wave, so i would get 0 and 0,5V information.

I don't have other DC sources thant 0 and 5V.

That's all i need for now.
thanks
angelo
What does the signal come from? An ultrasonic transducer?

To see the difference between 100 and 99.5 is a problem. Electronic parts are not perfect. If I built a subtract 99.5 volt circuit using 5% parts it might subtract 99 volts or 94 or 104.

How many cycles of 125khz are there per bit of information?
One cycle at 99.5 volts =0 and one cycle at 100 volts =1 ?
100 cycles at 99.5 =0 and 100 cycles at 100 = 1?

This makes a big difference on how to do this! The answer could be very complex or simple. I need so see the big picture. E-mail me if you don’t want to tell everyone what you are really doing.

ronsimpson said:
To see the difference between 100 and 99.5 is a problem. Electronic parts are not perfect. If I built a subtract 99.5 volt circuit using 5% parts it might subtract 99 volts or 94 or 104.

How many cycles of 125khz are there per bit of information?
One cycle at 99.5 volts =0 and one cycle at 100 volts =1 ?
100 cycles at 99.5 =0 and 100 cycles at 100 = 1?

This makes a big difference on how to do this! The answer could be very complex or simple. I need so see the big picture. E-mail me if you don’t want to tell everyone what you are really doing.
To do it with subtraction, you need a reference 125kHz signal with constant amplitude. Without that, you can use a rectifier, as noted. The reason I asked about the source is it will impact how the rectification is done.

Hi.
Is there any reason you can't rectify this through a Schottky diode (0.2V to 0.3V drop) then run it through a two resistor (precision types, 1% or better)voltage divider? Do you need a buffer or instrumentation amplifier, or can you just use a high value (50K - 100K or higher) resistor in the input as a limiter? Of course if you run this through a rectifier bridge you will have a 250KHz signal. If this signal is entirely above the zero point, i.e., all positive, the diode(s) is(are) unnecessary.

Inquiring minds will ask.
'Luck in your project.
kenjj

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back