Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

OpAmp Dual Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinil1410

I am using 741 opamp in my circuit to be printed on pcb. How can i give vcc= +12v and vee= -12v power supply to opamp??

I tried to use split power circuit using diodes and capacitors. But for that i need input of 24v dc. 24dc adapters are not available. So what is the other method of dual power supply?

Last edited:
To power just opamps (light load), I have done this:

Note that a 12V transformer gives ±17V, which is enough if you plan to use an LM7812/LM7912 to regulate the opamp supplies. A 9Vac out Wall-Wart would make ~ ±12V without regulation.

Unless you are using the +12V or -12V as reference Voltages in your circuit, opamp supplies do not have to be regulated. Most modern opamps have Power Supply (ripple) Rejection Ratios of > 90db, so regulating their +- supplies is not needed. Look up the specs for the 741.

btw-the 741 is an extremely crummy old opamp. There are hundreds of modern, cheaper ones with better specs.

Attachments

• SplitPS.png
    SplitPS.png
    44.7 KB · Views: 358
  • SplitPS9.png
    SplitPS9.png
    50.8 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
To power just opamps (light load), I have done this:

Note that a 12V transformer gives ±17V, which is enough if you plan to use an LM7812/LM7912 to regulate the opamp supplies. A 9Vac out Wall-Wart would make ~ ±12V without regulation.
That's an easy way to get plus and minus voltages from a single AC voltage. Somehow I had not really considered using two half-wave rectifiers off one winding for that purpose, but it's a good idea for light loads when ripple is not a big concern. And you could certainly add a couple linear regulators if you needed low ripple and better regulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back