Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

OP amp with PIC Single Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayne

I want to use TL072 with PIC ADC,
and not want to use any other IC for making a dual supply like Nigel do in his tutorials.
only want to use opamp with single supply, help needed.
Thanks

That op amp is not designed for single supply operation and if you use a single supply, the output voltage will always be greater than about 2 V.
If you want to sense voltages near ground you have to choose another op amp.

other opamp, commonly used???

infact in our local market, commonly used parts only available.

I used LM324 but you could try looking on Google.com for "single supply op-amp" and try to find local to you (also try for a rail to rail type)

**broken link removed**

Art

Ayne said:
I want to use TL072 with PIC ADC,
and not want to use any other IC for making a dual supply like Nigel do in his tutorials.
only want to use opamp with single supply, help needed.

The reason I used the other IC to generate the -5V rail is that it makes it a LOT easier - with a single rail IC you have the problem that it might not go 100% down to ground. I also used a 2.5V precision voltage reference, to avoid the opamp needing to go 100% to 5V as well - and it improves accuracy, which is a nice added bonus.

If you want to use a TL072 - then copy my tutorial, it won't work very well otherwise!.

hi ayne,

The LM324 is designed specifically to work from a single supply rail.

Also the TS358 dual opa [25pence UK] will accept common mode input signals to Vee/Gnd.

If you are considering any serious work with opa's, low level dc in particular, I would recommend a dual rail supply.

Some of the 'ac' opa circuits with potential divider offsets have some poor features, in particular power rail noise and changes in the gain/frequency performance. To overcome this, additional components, zeners, caps and the like are required.

Its much easier to generate a negative rail voltage.

Regards
EricG

Are you planning to power this from a transformer or mains adaptor?

Get a mains adaptor with an AC output, it's easy to make a dual supply from the output.

Why are you botherd about using another IC to make a negitive supply? Whilst there are better ICs for this a 555 can be used and it's very cheap too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back