Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Op-amp to convert 12v to 5v

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiger555

Hi friends,

I am looking a simple circuit to convert a 12v siginal to 5v using op-amp before I feed that to computer. Any idea??
Thanks in advance!!

Regards.

The use is like this- When a 12v 1millsec pulse is out, I need to convert to 5v and take that input into computer. Thanks

You can use an open collector comparator with the pull up resistor tied to 5V for the interface. The comparator will have improved rise/fall time vs. an op amp. With no additional information in your post it's difficult to recommend the best option for your particuliar circumstance.

Hi Mate,
At present I am using a transister to open a 5v when 12v 1millsecond pulse is comming from timer. I need this output to go to computer. I have 24 outputs to go and each one should have a individual convertor before i take that input to computer. Hope now you got a rough idea.

Thanks..

You can use an open collector comparator with the pull up resistor tied to 5V for the interface. The comparator will have improved rise/fall time vs. an op amp. With no additional information in your post it's difficult to recommend the best option for your particuliar circumstance.

Hi mate, this is what i basically have, looking to replace this...

Circuit Simulator Applet

Given the additional information with the signal a 12V pulse and 24 lines and if I'm interpreting correctly, the simplest approach might be to interface with a non-inverting line driver/buffer with an open drain like the MM74C906. With Vcc at 12V, the input signal at 12V and a pull up resistor at each output tied to 5V to accomplish the proper level shift back to TTL level. The 74C906 is a hex buffer so part count would be kept to a minimum with only for required along with 24 resistors and 4 decoupling caps. With SIP resistor networks part count is down to 12 total. Here is the datasheet for the 74C906:

https://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/MM/MM74C906.pdf

Hi, I am looking for a missing pulse detector! Something like when +5V and 0V (Oscillator)the output is constant. If just any of the (5V or 0V) Constant Pulse, the Output should be Opposite.

Will someone help me with this? Thanks.

Cheers.

You don't need an opamp, just a simple potential divider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back