Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Op amp equivalent needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ljcox

Does anyone know of an equivalent to the CA3130 op amp?

I need an op amp that has a common mode range that includes 0 Volt and operates from a single supply of +5 Volt.

A dual version would be excellent, but single will do.

The frequency response is not critical, just the parameters mentioned above.

LM324 quad or LM358 dual. (low power)
MC33171 single, MC33172 dual and MC33174 quad. (low power)
MC34071 single, MC34072 dual and MC34074 quad. (normal power)

They all work with a 5V supply and their input common mode range includes ground.

akg said:
the ca3130 is mos i/p .. so can it be replaced by lm324??
The LM324 needs negative input bias current for its transistors.
It is low-power so is slow and doesn't work at and above mid-high audio frequencies.
Its output doesn't swing rail-to-rail.

audioguru said:
akg said:
the ca3130 is mos i/p .. so can it be replaced by lm324??
The LM324 needs negative input bias current for its transistors.
It is low-power so is slow and doesn't work at and above mid-high audio frequencies.
Its output doesn't swing rail-to-rail.

How do you generate a negative input current if the input is ground referenced?

ljcox said:
How do you generate a negative input current if the input is ground referenced?
Most opamps need a positive input bias current for their NPN input transistors so I mentioned this one's different negative input bias current for its PNP input transistors.
Like any opamp, you just must be careful to match the source resistance of each input to avoid input offset. Then the negative input current in the source resistors will be the same and the opamp's input voltages will both be slightly positive and the same.

When you are looking for an equivalent, Digikey has a good search engine. Either put in the part number you want or just "op amp". I found LMV712MM which is BI-CMOS, rail to rail input and output, dual, but is surface mount.

Unfortunately, most new ICs are in the microscopic little packages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back