Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

oops! I've got a 900 pound problem in my backyard...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarveyH42

Banned
Okay, so I screwed up... I made a concrete grave marker for my dog, and didn't plan things out so good. My calculations on the concrete were only half correct, had to rush up to Home Depot and buy another 5 X 80 LB bags of mix. Then the past few days I've been wondering how I'm going move this thing without serious injury...

I need rock it forward to remove the plywood and 2 X 4s from the bottom, then ease it all the way over into place. So no actuall lifting of the entire 900 lbs. It's actually sitting near equalibrium on one bottom edge (no way to really determine how close). I believe more of the weight is pressing toward the back.

It gets worse... The 2x4s bracing the back are screw into the sides of another 2x4 screwed from inside the form. I'm surprised that 3 drywall screws on each side is actually supporting all that weight, which leads me to believe its not to far off center.

I figured a 450 lbs I'd be able to rock it forward to stand on a couple of cinder blocks, but not so far to shift all the weight forward. Then remove the stuff off the back (will be the base of the pyramid). I only weigh about 230 lbs, and figured I could hand the 450 lbs with reasonable control with simple leverage. 900 lbs... well yeah I'm not too bright, but know stupid when I see it.

The best I've got is to just leave the form alone, hook a chain between my truck and the 2x4 across the back, unscrew (probably cut) the braces, say a prayer, and ease the truck back. Not the best, but the safest.

Attachments

• Pyramid.jpg
    Pyramid.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 333
Harvey leave the form on it for the time being so as you try to move it you will not spall the edges.Set your skill saw depth so you do not cut concrete split bottom form board in half one way then the other so quarters .or x cut it then follow cut with a razor knife(an old blade because it will be ruined)get a comealong or cablewinch hook on and lower onto block of wood or brick at cut line.Be damned careful when cutting you will be partially under the thing.After lowering you should be to work cut pieces out with not to much problem.Unless it is alot bigger than it looks.Remember to keep back off the edges they will still be tender and use wood wedges too pry form boards off metal will have atendency to take nibbles out of fresh concrete.will try to do a picture and help too show what I mean if I can figure out how to work this thing. LUCK Don Hawley P.S I figured it out (how to add picture well wife helped) and it sounds kind of like what you had in mind anyway but you might have alittle easier time with the lowering I wondering if the cable will slip as it gets closer to being on the ground. Hope not you may want to make a plywood side to protect that upper side in the whole process so cable doesn,t scratch concrete GOOD LUCK DON Hawley

Attachments

• Harvey's Pic.JPG
    Harvey's Pic.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
Thanks, was going to let it set for about a month, give it a little cure time. I want to get prepared in case we have an early huricane this season. If we get on coming through here I'd rather lay it down to avoid bigger problems. Oh, doesn't seem so big, surprise ar how much concrete it took. The base is 3 ft square, sides are 3 ft equalateral triangles, about little over 2 ft high. I also made a 8 x 10 picture frame sized plaque out of pewter (mostly lead and tin...), weighs about 50 lbs.
Cutting the plywood sounds good, will go out and see how accessable the backside is. How much weight will a come-along handle? Need to buy one, remember from my younger years that did alright with car engines, sometimes a little scary though. I'm thinking might be best to just cut along the back 2x4, and just let it set on the plywood, which will eventually rot away. Atleast it will sit basically level.

Attachments

• PIC00006.jpg
    PIC00006.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 297
You could always pack sand/dirt under it, then slowly dig it out once the lumber shoring is removed. Old stone mason trick for positioning slabs and flipping stair treads when you are by yourself.

I'm not sure that's a great idea in this case, don't have a lot of confidence in my support work. I miscalculated the concrete by 50%, I'm surprised it held up to about 900 lbs. The bottom edge is resting on a 4ft piece of fence post. I used 1/2 inch plywood for the form, which is what is actually sitting on the fence post. I think the form has a lot to do with it being so solid. It's kind of scary to think about messing with it, as I'm certain once it starts moving, there will be no stopping it. If had been 450lbs like planned, pretty sure I could use my weight and leverage, now its 4 times my weight.
Sorry, also kinda think your suggesting quite a pile of sand. Fortunately, here in Florida. sand and dirt appear to be about the same thing... I could just dig a hole. A 900 pound pyramid is going to really pack the stuff solid. Just seems to be considerbly more work, and similar risks.

Well, its set into place finally. Turned out to be super easy, as I was correct in thinking that it balanced close to equalibrium. Just a slight tug to pull the 2X4 supports out of the ground (only a shocking few inches), and it gently rocked forward onto a 4X4 on two blocks. Removed the plywood from the base. Just out of curiousity, and a little laziness, I reached down, grabbed hold of the point and lifted. It was so damn light and easy, so I just pushed it over into place. I still had one edge resting on the 4X4, the oposite edge had sunk about 2 inches into the sand/(Florida soil). Wrap the chain I used earlier around the 4X4 and yanked out with the truck.
Removing the rest of the form was a little more difficult, had to do a little digging to get it free. On the front was a 8x10 picture frame recess, the plywood was stuck pretty good, had to use a hammer and chisle (know its spelt wrong...).

Anyway, the pewter plaque I made slid right in with just a little encouragement from Mr. Hammer. Had thought to paint it white, but looks good natural, so going to leave it. Might look into some sealer after its had time to dry out some.

Attachments

• PIC00009.jpg
    PIC00009.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 276
  • PIC00012.jpg
    PIC00012.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 281
Very nice job. It is a fitting tribute to a friend.

AllVol

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back