Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Onkyo TX-SR803

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKay

Does anyone have access to Onkyo service manuals? I have the TX-SR803 on the bench and I am trying to track down the source of interference on it the that can be heard from the speakers. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Does anyone have access to Onkyo service manuals? I have the TX-SR803 on the bench and I am trying to track down the source of interference on it the that can be heard from the speakers. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Maybe a ground loop problem?
Or maybe some of the caps are bad and the circuits are motor-boating?
I don't think anyone will be able to get the service manual for you, you will have to trace the circuits and test the signals starting with the pre amp section, then all the way to the main amp to help localize your problem.

Thank you for your reply.
I thought it was a long shot on the manual but worth a request. I tend to agree with you on the comment about some of the caps needing replacement. The area of focus will be the digital (coax) input processing. The stereo inputs do not seem to exhibit the problem. The output from the digital source when the unit is first powered on is very choppy or non existent after it has had time to "warm up" about 30-40 minutes the problem disappears.

Thank you for your reply.
I thought it was a long shot on the manual but worth a request. I tend to agree with you on the comment about some of the caps needing replacement. The area of focus will be the digital (coax) input processing. The stereo inputs do not seem to exhibit the problem. The output from the digital source when the unit is first powered on is very choppy or non existent after it has had time to "warm up" about 30-40 minutes the problem disappears.

Sounds like bad caps.

I didn't realize that it was digital!

A further update. The problem is not as easy as it first sounded. The digital board seems to be OK, I did find a cap on the board it connected to that was leaking. The rating was .22 F 5.5v had to order one none in stock so I have to wait on that. While looking around at the inside of the unit noticed a ribbon cable that had a brown tint -not original. The heat-sink below it was about 155 f some further investigating appear to be in order.

A further update. The problem is not as easy as it first sounded. The digital board seems to be OK, I did find a cap on the board it connected to that was leaking. The rating was .22 F 5.5v had to order one none in stock so I have to wait on that. While looking around at the inside of the unit noticed a ribbon cable that had a brown tint -not original. The heat-sink below it was about 155 f some further investigating appear to be in order.

That heat could have caused some caps to dry up...

hello guys. you might find this useful.

Attachments

• onkyo_tx-sr803-e_sm_[ET].pdf
    6.2 MB · Views: 2,884
That is very useful. I have a few other projects on the bench now but I will be revisiting the amp now armed with an accurate service guide. Thank you leal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back