Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Onkyo THX SR 703 Receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

eeprof

This unit is about 6 years old and its trouble dates back some 6-8 months. I do not have a schematic or service manual for it.
Upon initial cold startup: All channels (speakers) mildly motorboat followed by a decaying static which ceases in about 5 minutes. However, the audio remains somewhat distorted for about
10 minutes after which the unit operates normally. Trouble is independant of input or source and occurs through all 5 speaker loads.
My thoughts are something common to all amp channels especially electrolytic decoupling capacitors. This unit has always produced more than its share of heat so I know electrolytics would suffer somewhat. I know the 703 is similar to other Onkyos of that vintage so I am hoping someone out there has experienced this trouble with an Onkyo. I do not want to replace this receiver since it has phono inputs and analog tape input which is rare in todays market.
Thanks, Tom

I do have a service manual for several Onkyo's including yours. For over 25 years I was involved with consumer electronics and I seem to remember something about subwoofer/ channel noise that was known for those series. Not sure if it is even related to your issue? I think there was even a service bulletin that I probably have it on my archives.
I have since moved on from consumer electronics to Avionics field but still try to help out whenever possible. Service Man is about 10Meg PDF file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back