Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

One momentary switch - two uses

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonis

hey guys

I would like to make the following but have no idea where to start.

I would like to have one momentary switch that when pressed once it starts my computer when the switch is pressed for more then 3 seconds it sends a series of keyboard strokes to the computer.(ctr+alt+del)

my problem lies in the circuit to do this, how do I time a momentary switch and then close the appropriate circuit?

Once i know how to do this i can turn on the pc from the motherboard, and send the key strokes to the comp. using a hacked keyboard.

basicly i need to know how to close 2 circuits, momentarily, and independently, with one momentary switch.

Any ideas?

thanks
Jon

you could close circuit A like the normal switch operation, and you could close circuit B on a time delay through a 555 timer in monostable mode. i'm pretty sure you can set the delay and the time high based on the R1/R2 ratio. Look up 555 monostable configuration on google, should find what you need.

david

I can't just think of an easy way to accomplish this with out using a microcontroller.

Your task, as I understood it was to be able to recognize for how long has the switch been pressed for. Depending on the time you want to do 2 things. If the timing is less that 1sec then turn the computer off, if it is longer than 3 seconds then send a (CTR+ALT+DEL).

A very easy task if you have a programmer and software to program a microcontroller.
How are you thinking on sending that CTR+ALT+DEL?
Wouldn't it be more easy to just type CTR+ALT+DEL when you need to? I sure seem to do it a lot lately :lol:

Ivancho

my computer has a button like that on already...if yours does to why not just jump that and put in another switch? Also I don't think that the switch puts out clrl=alt=delete I think it is tied to the reset pin on a chip.

Well the motherboard is inside a digital picture frame that i am building so there will be no mouse or keyboard attached, I think it would be easier to just put a momentary switch to the mobo to turn on and controll it through my wireless lan to shut it down, with pcanywhere or something.

Unless any one else has another idea

thanks for the replys though people, I appreciate it!

jonis said:
Well the motherboard is inside a digital picture frame that i am building so there will be no mouse or keyboard attached, I think it would be easier to just put a momentary switch to the mobo to turn on and controll it through my wireless lan to shut it down, with pcanywhere or something.

Unless any one else has another idea

thanks for the replys though people, I appreciate it!

That's probably a better idea. I can recommend RealVNC as a potential free alternative to PCAnywhere. https://www.realvnc.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back