Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

On Screen display IC

Status
Not open for further replies.

bones

Hi,
I'm chasing an IC that can do OSD On Screen Display.
I have an ST5730a but they are no longer in production.
I hAve seen the AVR, PIC and SX uP versions but I'm looking for a dedicated IC.
Mainly looking for a place to buy them from.
The 8051 uP's have OSD built in I'm told that they used for TV's.

Any Idea's

Cheers
Rodney

bones said:
Hi,
I'm chasing an IC that can do OSD On Screen Display.
I have an ST5730a but they are no longer in production.
I hAve seen the AVR, PIC and SX uP versions but I'm looking for a dedicated IC.
Mainly looking for a place to buy them from.

All of the OSD chips seem to have short production runs and availability, and often a lack of data on them) I used an NEC one years ago - as it was the only one I could get data on.

The ST5730a is still available as a kit, but the chip itself ceased production a good while back.

The 8051 uP's have OSD built in I'm told that they used for TV's.

No, 8051's don't have OSD built-in, but there are a number of specific micro-controller chips intended for TV's that do - and some may well use the same instruction set as an 8051. Most of these chips though are mask programmable - although I have seen some with external EPROM connections, and piggy-back boards for early production (so the pluggable EPROM can be replaced if the software is updated). Once the software is stable, then mask programmable versions are used.

bones said:
Or what do the teletext units use.

Originally they used entirely seperate chipsets, although later sets incorporated it in the main micro - more modern ones still are mostly digital, so it's hidden away in the digital processing somewhere?.

In any case, not much help to you!.

The STV is probably still your best bet, I presuming you're not looking for large quantities or anything?.

Hi,
Thanks for the info. I'm not looking for large quantities but I would rather something if the project works out that is in production.
I might have to go to the AVR or PIC for the on screen display and do it that way.

Cheers
Rod

Doing it with a plain micro-controller isn't trivial, and you probably need a fair amount of external circuitry, and then it's not going to be very good quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back